Pododermatitis

mariak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see there are quite a few threads related to pododermatitis, but I I didn't read all of them because I'm specifically trying to find out if anyone knows of something I can use topically to soothe my cats paws while waiting for her vet appointment.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't really know of anything topical that will help if you know for certain it is pododermatitis, because the recovery takes some very potent antibiotics and is a very long drawn out process. Even though there are several threads here, this one may be worth reading, since it discusses some of the side effects of the antibiotics, and things to help. This cat was on Doxy for nine long months, but it paid off inthe long run: Swollen Paw Issues.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For soothing in the meantime, you can try chilled chamomile tea as a wash on her paws. It is safe externally, and internally in proper dosages (far more than she could lick off while grooming). I suggest using commercial tea bags, pure chamomile, not a blend. Brew the tea, chill it, then swab on with a soft cloth or cotton ball. It's good for all sorts of skin "ouchies," and is both mildly antibiotic and antifungal, so will help ward off secondary infections.

I recommend the commercial tea bags because they are ALL made from German Chamomile. The English, which grows in a lot of gardens is useless medicinally, and toxic to cats. The two look quite similar unless you REALLY know your herbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really know of anything topical that will help if you know for certain it is pododermatitis, because the recovery takes some very potent antibiotics and is a very long drawn out process. Even though there are several threads here, this one may be worth reading, since it discusses some of the side effects of the antibiotics, and things to help. This cat was on Doxy for nine long months, but it paid off inthe long run: Swollen Paw Issues.
Thank you, very useful information

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For soothing in the meantime, you can try chilled chamomile tea as a wash on her paws. It is safe externally, and internally in proper dosages (far more than she could lick off while grooming). I suggest using commercial tea bags, pure chamomile, not a blend. Brew the tea, chill it, then swab on with a soft cloth or cotton ball. It's good for all sorts of skin "ouchies," and is both mildly antibiotic and antifungal, so will help ward off secondary infections.

I recommend the commercial tea bags because they are ALL made from German Chamomile. The English, which grows in a lot of gardens is useless medicinally, and toxic to cats. The two look quite similar unless you REALLY know your herbs.
Very interesting and useful information about chamomile! I will do that tomorrow. Today I sprayed her pads with vetricyn which seemed to soothe her, she's an older cat with joint issues, I'm hoping this is something that is treatable and doesn't cause her to much grief from medication side effects

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There isn't much about herbs that I don't either know, or know where to find out. But I've been using chamomile forEVER!