Pleural Effusion in Kitten

ebbchx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, this is hard to write and not a happy topic I guess I am still looking for answers
In January we adopted a cat, King. And when we adopted him with another kitten, Baby, we went through this whole long process because he tested slightly positive for leukemia but the vet assumed false positive because his litter mates and mother didn't have it. They let us take him home while they sent it out for more in depth testing.... and then we NEVER HEARD from the adoption agency again. Like we tried to contact them but never heard anything about it. We planned to follow up and establish with a vet of our own, but the local vets have been booked or not accepting new patients. A week ago. King started throwing up and gagging so we assumed he had a hairball cause he's long haired, then got a little wheeze but was acting normal, then two days ago started rapid breathing. We brought him to the vet ER yesterday thinking he had a respiratory infection, but he actually had a murmur and pleural effusion. We had to decide if we wanted to do surgery and hospitalized him, but the vet said his prognosis was very poor either way. And recommended euthanizing him, which is what we ended up doing. The vet assumed heart failure. But it is so OUT OF THE BLUE, that in a week he went from fine, to not here. Has anyone experienced this in cats under 1 year old? I keep wracking my brain thinking maybe he got into something, hurt himself, ate something, or that maybe he actually did have leukemia and we didn't know? But our other cat still is negative for that? It's all very confusing and heartbreaking

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. I am so sorry that all of this happened. Did the vet mention by any chance that it could have been FIP? Although, it generally takes a tad bit longer than just a week, the wet version can really progress very quickly.

I'd ask your vet when it would be safe to get your other cat vaccinated if they are not already. As far as I know, a reliable adoption agency should have tested for things like FeLV and also vaccinated these cats before adopting them out. Sometimes a cat will have a false positive if they received the FeLV vaccination shortly before being tested. Testing for coronavirus, which can mutate to FIP is not always done, however. And, even if it were, most cats that have the virus never have it mutate.

I think if I were you, I'd be reaching out to the adoption agency again to get the records they should have on file for what was done in terms of testing/vaccinations before they placed these cats up for adoption - records they really should have shared with you. If they won't deal with you, call the local SPCA and see how they might be able to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ebbchx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I am so sorry that all of this happened. Did the vet mention by any chance that it could have been FIP? Although, it generally takes a tad bit longer than just a week, the wet version can really progress very quickly.

I'd ask your vet when it would be safe to get your other cat vaccinated if they are not already. As far as I know, a reliable adoption agency should have tested for things like FeLV and also vaccinated these cats before adopting them out. Sometimes a cat will have a false positive if they received the FeLV vaccination shortly before being tested. Testing for coronavirus, which can mutate to FIP is not always done, however. And, even if it were, most cats that have the virus never have it mutate.

I think if I were you, I'd be reaching out to the adoption agency again to get the records they should have on file for what was done in terms of testing/vaccinations before they placed these cats up for adoption - records they really should have shared with you. If they won't deal with you, call the local SPCA and see how they might be able to help.
We never got their records of what their immunizations were, which was part of what I was reaching out to them about. The vet gave us a list of possible conditions he could have been suffering from FIP was on the list, I think because he had the murmur too she was assuming heart failure. I had asked the vet about if any of it was contagious and she said it was not. Is FIP transmitted to other cats? Just would like to know what to bring to the vet with the other cat in terms of preventative care for her so she can stay healthy. Definitely plan on reaching out to SPCA about the organization we adopted from, it was not a pleasant adoption experience and it makes me wonder if they knew more about his condition and that is why we never heard anything from them. All very unsettling

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Infectious Peritonitis | VCA Animal Hospital
What You Should Know About Feline Infectious Peritonitis

I am very sorry for the loss of your young cat. As was stated above, it is not guaranteed to affect other cats in a household, but you need to speak to your vet about this specifically. Please try to follow through with the agency; it is not unknown of that sick animals are adopted out either purposely or through carelessness and lack of follow through. They may have done neither, but you should have had records at the very least.

Heart disease can be very insidious. I have lost two cat suddenly to it; both were under normal veterinary care, indoor only, but all the symptoms flew under the radar.

This is not much comfort now, but you took King and Baby from a shelter and gave him 6 months of a wonderful life with a family who loved him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is FIP transmitted to other cats?
FIP itself is not transmitted to other cats - coronavirus which CAN sometimes mutate to FIP is transmissible. But, a majority of all cats have coronavirus, and there is a very small population of them where the mutation occurs. If it is going to mutate, it is usually within the first 2 years of a cat's life when they are still developing a strong immune system and usually when there are other diseases involved that affect the immune system. It can also happen late in a cat's life when their immune systems are weakened by old age and often then it is still another disease that drags down the immune system.

Given the issue with King's heart, the vet is probably right, and he might have had some sort of congenital defect. That does not mean if Baby is related that they too are affected by it, but something you can talk more to the vet about in terms of keeping an eye out on Baby.

They can test Baby for coronavirus, but as I said so many, many cats will test positive and never have an issue their entire lives.