Please share your good ingredient dry food recs!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck! If you try something and it doesn't work for whatever reason, you can always come back and post the brand and reason and then recommendations can be narrowed down a touch further.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another Orijen user for the dry portion of their diet. Tundra or Regional Red. Real protein sources are the first ingredients. I mix this with another kibble from Rayne Nutritional which is rabbit only. I had to do a novel food trial a while ago when we suspected one might have a food allergy and Rayne makes food specific for that need. No allergy to foods but she loved the kibble, but it was too low calorie for her particular needs. Mixing with the Orijen evens it out to a better calorie profile.

We feed wet and dry, both cats do drink water.
Thanks for your input! Orijen seems to be a popular choice, so will definitely be looking into their foods again. :)

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried several before I got them on the Acana. It was the only one that they really seemed to like and it doesn't cause them any stomach upset. My vet said not to feed grain free to our cats or dogs. Some people swear by it though. I also had cats live into their twenties on plain old Friskies. At the shelters, they feed them whatever is donated or available. Maybe that's why they usually have diarrhea when you adopt them. It seems to me that the more choices there are, the more confusing it becomes.
I don't think I've heard of Acana, so I'll look into it - thank you! We had a cat who ate Friskies and she lived into her 20s as well. :) I do agree about the choices!

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No offense to your vet but this is a subject I'm passionate about, having a puppy that was at one time was literally fading away from a grain-inclusive diet. The vets (mine included) that believe our pets have to have grains are *usually* basing their opinions on a FDA report that was based on a badly flawed study (paid for by big pet food companies) that has since been thoroughly debunked. The FDA has since corrected their position but did so quietly, which they usually do after making a mistake.
I certainly can understand why you're so passionate about this and I'm so sorry that happened to your puppy. I spoke with a vet a couple of months ago and she said some very enlightening things about the pet food industry.

That said, some cats do absolutely fine on grain-inclusive foods. Am I saying these foods are good quality and not filled with all manner of junk? Absolutely not! But I have known cats to eat said junk and live long healthy lives. What works for one cat (or any pet for that matter) may not work for another, and what doesn't work for one cat, may work for another. I think we also have to keep in mind, that the higher quality the food, the more expensive, and not everyone's budget will allow for that, so I think we should be mindful of that as well. :)

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s fantastic news! I’ve lost full confidence in vets (even “human” doctors) over the past several years. They don’t seem to want to listen to us..I lost 2 cats because I listened to the vet..I’m so happy to hear your good Fortune 😉😄
I totally hear you on this! I've lamented many a time, especially in the last several months, how hard it is to find a good vet. :/

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat likes Tiki Cat Chicken and Egg. It’s fairly low carb, high protein and a little goes a long way (high calorie). While I agree wet is best, my cat wouldn’t eat anything between morning and 5pm if I didn’t give her a touch of dry food to hold her over. Her diet is about 80% wet 20% dry. As others have said, many cats have done perfectly fine on dry food. While I don’t necessarily support a fully dry diet, some dry IMO is fine. Unless you’re a vet, I take these online opinions spoken as fact (dry food will kill your cat) in threads like this with a grain of salt.

Do what you feel is best, it’s your cat. My cat used to live on the street and eat straight up literal garbage. I don’t feel bad about giving her some dry food.

Tiki Cat Chicken and Egg Dry Food

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s fantastic news! I’ve lost full confidence in vets (even “human” doctors) over the past several years. They don’t seem to want to listen to us..I lost 2 cats because I listened to the vet..I’m so happy to hear your good Fortune 😉😄
Hi. Would you mind sharing what happened to your cats?