Please i need some advice with an older feral kitten living indoors now.

kittymomma6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I fed an older kitten at my work for 3 weeks in the parking lot who was living in a drain and bushes. Every time I would see her she would bolt and hide. I was able to humanely trap her. Once I had her I realized she was very sweet and gentle. I decided to keep her as indoor cat. The Vet said she's about 6 months old, weighs 5 lbs. Healthy. I got her spayed and fully vetted. The paradox is: when I pick her up , hold her to my chest, she melts, purrs, makes biscuits everything! She's only in the beginning bit and scratched me rather hard. I reacted by not reacting. One time I and voluntarily cried out a little bit and pulled my hand away quickly. She actually never bit me that hard again. She is VERY sweet, docile.
This has happened twice-
The routine: I kept her in my bathroom for a week. Set a carrier with blanket, food water litter,etc. She is very relaxed but stays in back of carrier. Very easy to get out and hold. I gently and with no trauma let her out in all of 1 bed 1 bath condo. First day she is cautious but comes to kitchen with other cats and eats, keeps her distance from me won't let me pick up, Day 2 hides under bed won't eat. I put food and water under bed with her after a couple hours.
Last time I took her back in bathroom on day 2. This time I'll try for longer.
I have 5 other cats that all get along and like her a lot ,that's another reason I kept her. It's freezing winter too of course.
My question is since she IS ALREADY sweet and cuddly but flees when left out ,how do I get her to come out with everyone else? and I'm worried she won't eat enough now. She's already used both "big girl" lotter boxes and I've kept hers in bathroom too for now.
Thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
,how do I get her to come out with everyone else?
Time. You've got to give her time. Every single thing here is new to her, and she is doing the very best she can to learn about it and determine that things really are ok, but you must have patience with her regarding introducing her to the other cats. You have no idea what her background experiences might have been, so do please lower your expectations so that you can appreciate her for the unique cat that she is.

By the way, she's not feral, she's a stray and I'm so glad you found her.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat. She sounds as if she has great potential to be a pet. IMO, she is just overwhelmed by the whole house and the other cats. I would let her use the bathroom as her home base for as long as she needs to. What does she do if the bathroom door is left open? I was in a similar situation with an older rescue who used the bathroom as a home for quite a while, still likes to go in there, but now ventures out into the bedroom...but not the rest of the house. She has established her territory and is now comfortable. I think that your girl will adjust, especially since your cats seem willing to accept a new comer.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the above advice is perfect. Once she is well adapted to you and used to all the sounds and scents of the others, she may decide to be a bit braver. I have a “bathroom cat.” She is grown and was feral. She does venture out to spend time with me but she prefers her room. I leave it to her to decide. I put up a lattice panel as a second door. It is vinyl and light weight with minimal work to hang it on tiny hinges. She enjoys watching the others as long as her space is hers. The others know she likes her space. The lattice works well and I use it for other rooms to “introduce” new arrivals (or not. As they choose). The cats feel they have a sanctuary but get to visit others as well. I know you mentioned being in a condo but a large carrier could work the same way later on if needed. It gives a safe retreat. Thank you for saving that kitty! The weather is rough in many places this year and I know that kitty must be very relieved to be warm, fed and loved. :heartshape: