Please Help...

LizB38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...I need some advice. We have kittens that are approximately 8 to 10 weeks old. There were 4 of them and all were playing, eating, drinking great. About a week ago, one of them, outta nowhere got lethargic and passed away within a 6 hour period. The other three were up and active usual. Now, one of the others, the runt, a little female is having trouble walking. She just lays and sleeps. She ate good yesterday, then threw some of it up, but she ate A LOT. Now today, she's still very lethargic, wont play with her siblings, just wants to lay and sleep. When she does try to move around, its like her legs are very weak and she has trouble holding up her little body weight. I have a bottle dropper and have kept her hydrated to the best of my ability, but I don't know what else I can do for her. When she's awake she's alert and everything, but ahe just lays there. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I have always had dogs until I found a kitten wondering the street a year ago, took her in, now she's the momma of my 3 babies. So my knowledge of cats is very limited. Any advice is very much appreciated.
Thank you...
Worried About my babies

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like fading kitten syndrome, your best move is to take the entire family to a vet as soon as possible. SubQ fluids, B12 and supportive care are the best things for the little one struggling and to ensure the others don't start fading. Your vet would also be able to determine if it is something else or what is causing them to struggle.

Fading Kitten Syndrome: Symptoms and Treatment Options
What Is Fading Kitten Syndrome and Why Do So Many Foster Kittens Die from It?
Fading Kitten Syndrome

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The advice above is best.

Re hydrating with a dropper its good if there is some dextrose / glucose sugar in it.
In practice it will be a trifle honey - preferably raw honey.

Keep her warm - the sick has often difficult to keep up the body temp. Ir heating lamp is excellent. Massage her.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The advice given has been spot on. I would only add that you can take Karo syrup (corn syrup), honey, or maple syrup can be rubbed on the kittens' gums. If hypoglycemia is present, rubbing one of those on their gums and cheeks can help boost their blood sugar quickly. You can also try to give them some in a dropper, but I have found that rubbing their gums and cheeks works better for me.

The effects do not last long, so you will have to repeat the process until they are stable. Your vet might have more ideas.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is mom still indoor/outdoor? I would be concerned about panleuk if there are exposure risks.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would contact a vet as soon as possible, especially since there are symptoms in more than one kitten. It could be something spreading. Wish you and the kittens the best of luck!:vibes: