PLEASE help we are desperate!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Geeviee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to add that if your cat is in that much pain, you may want to call the vet again. If he’s re-impacted, the poop just remains hard inside. The large colon’s job is to take water out and return it to his body so it could require more enemas. Is he eating?
He’s just last night (well, 7 am this morning, what is sleep when baby is sick?) taken to have a little bit of wet food mixed with water! And I’ve seen him drinking from his fountain. Slow but steady... I think he is progressing. I picked him up gently without a Yelp 30 minutes ago, to bring him down from the top of the stairs because he’d been there for 8 hours and I wanted to see if he would drink or eat. He is also starting to meow and purr again! I think this is a good sign crossing my fingers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Geeviee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never dealt with severe constipation in any of my cats, but from time to time they do have minor constipation and when that happens, I put them on somewhat of a liquid diet. Puréed food, chicken broth, and tons of water. That’s always helped them. Once the really hard stool has passed, I would give the broth a try and then introduce some puréed food into the diet so there is more fluid coming in. Best wishes to you and your baby. 💗
He’s on a similar diet right now! Hoping it works <3

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just want to say that if you use the Restoralax that you ordered, it works best if you first dissolve it in a tiny bit of water BEFORE adding it to his wet food. And if he's not eating all of his food yet, you might first add the Miralax to a small amount of food to make sure he ingests it, then give him more food. I give Miralax to my cat who's prone to constipation twice a day, every day to keep him regular. If I miss a dose, I start seeing him straining in the box :frown:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was eating only dry food since he was 1 so I believe that’s the culprit! He never really got wet food. I’ve since switched him to only wet food and I’m also looking into and researching raw food for him. I’ve been mixing in water to his wet food and definitely think he wasn’t getting enough water. At the old house he would only drink out of the toilet he wouldn’t even consider a bowl of water to drink from. We moved 2 weeks ago into a new place and he thankfully has broken the toilet habit, and I now have bowls of water in every room, and I got him a cat fountain he seems to really like
If you are serious about wanting to get him on a raw diet this site is a good place to start.

x5xwho02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I am currently freaking out.
I have a 6 year old male Maine coon cross named Felix. He’s always been optimal health. Noticed last Tuesday he was straining to poop, pee was fine. took him to his regular vet. They did Sedation (he gets aggressive at vet), X-ray, showed he was fully blocked up. They performed an enema but apparently only got one of the first hard pieces of stool out, and sent me home with stool softeners and laxatives. Felix didn’t poop for 6 days after that, nothing. I took him to a new vet. He sedated him, put him on IV fluids, in the vein, sent us home, hopeful it would work. He still didn’t poop. I took him back to the vet. I showed them the X-ray from first vet (I showed them first time too). Doctor said they will try enemas one more time or else he would need surgery. He was there 4 hours. They performed 3 back to back enemas and manually extracted the rock hard feces.
I took Felix home and he was a mess, from the sedation this time, he couldn’t walk was falling over like he was drunk. This went on for a few hours then he slept. Yesterday morning he finally came out from under the bed. He peed in litter once. No eating or drinking. He’s walking fine now, but he seems to be in EXTREME pain. He growls and cries when I try to pick him up to move him. Or if I press softly on his belly, near his bum.
He’s absolutely miserable. It’s like I took home a totally different cat. I lost my job due to covid 4 months ago, I just spent $800 I didn’t have in vet bills. I feel like this is my fault. I struggle with severe mental health and Felix is my best friend and the only family I have left. Is pain after enemas normal? Will he get better? I’m terrified.
I did see him drink a bit of water a couple hours ago. And he peed in the litter. But he seems to be in so much pain and just lethargic.
I am not a doctor however I have observed felines in various medical scenarios and I read your post, trying to imagine Felix, going through the constipation, then the car ride the doctor, those are part of Felix's experience..now he's back home, feeling a great deal of relief from the constipation and sore from multiple enemas.. I would see if it helps him to have a bed or blanket close to his water and food, to cut down on his moving around.. Although a certain level of difficulty walking and soreness is bound to be normal, you want to see that it's getting better, so keep him under CLOSE observation, it wouldn't hurt to write down his changes as a timeline, it will help you recall -
then call the doctor, tell them about Felix's recovery, ask if it sounds normal, what is next step.. even if they told you things when you were there, that's ok.. talk to them again for Felix, he has no opposable thumbs - phone calls are your job (lol- I'm just trying to get you to smile because you are doing great to help Felix, he's going to be fine because of you.)
But seriously, the doctor won't mind one bit, speaking on the phone one time, to help a cat. And the humane society in your area is an excellent resource for consult.