PLEASE HELP! My cat won't pee.

noahshavingfun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday while cleaning his litter box (which I normally do at night) I noticed he hadn't peed for the whole day.
I put him in the box then and he peed, but only half of what he normally does, and went out. I put him in again and he urinated once again. That in total was what his usual clump would look like (I use clumping litter). There was no blood. He didn't meow or anything. But I'm not quite sure if he was straining or not? I think maybe yes.
Today in the morning I put him in the box, and he seemed to have tried to pee, but nothing was there.

I'm really worried. He is only 6 months old. His behavior for now still seems normal.

I read about cat UTI's and stuff, and how many owners didn't even know what had happened to their animals.

I don't know what to do. Logical answer would be to take him to the vet, but I'm still in school and not working anywhere. And I don't have a car to drive him, my parents are at work.
I also need money with which we are kind of tight, and my dad is mad about me spending it at the vet.
I also need a box to bring him there. I don't have that either. We have been borrowing a box from a neighbor's neighbor, as my parents thought it was only really needed for vaccination, and so wouldn't be much in use.

Please, please. What can I do? What should I do?
I cannot watch him just suffer and die. I don't think I'll ever be able to own a cat after that.

Please tell me I can somehow still save my baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noahshavingfun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday while cleaning his litter box (which I normally do at night) I noticed he hadn't peed for the whole day.
I put him in the box then and he peed, but only half of what he normally does, and went out. I put him in again and he urinated once again. That in total was what his usual clump would look like (I use clumping litter). There was no blood. He didn't meow or anything. But I'm not quite sure if he was straining or not? I think maybe yes.
Today in the morning I put him in the box, and he seemed to have tried to pee, but nothing was there.

I'm really worried. He is only 6 months old. His behavior for now still seems normal.

I read about cat UTI's and stuff, and how many owners didn't even know what had happened to their animals.

I don't know what to do. Logical answer would be to take him to the vet, but I'm still in school and not working anywhere. And I don't have a car to drive him, my parents are at work.
I also need money with which we are kind of tight, and my dad is mad about me spending it at the vet.
I also need a box to bring him there. I don't have that either. We have been borrowing a box from a neighbor's neighbor, as my parents thought it was only really needed for vaccination, and so wouldn't be much in use.

Please, please. What can I do? What should I do?
I cannot watch him just suffer and die. I don't think I'll ever be able to own a cat after that.

Please tell me I can somehow still save my baby.
Also just to add, he usually pees 3 times a day. He drinks a lot.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call your vet and explain the whole situation? It does sound like a UTI and it is something that needs vet attention. If there is a Humane Society near you or an animal rescue group or even an animal shelter, you can also call them and plead for a vet to help. Some have vets on staff or access to some help. It’s possible he just needs some antibiotics but since I am not a vet I can’t tell you for sure. I can tell you that he does need a vet to respond to this. It is possible that your vet may be willing to prescribe something or give a discount of some kind. Call around first thing! Many people now are in the same situation with funding and there are those who are willing to try and help. Get your kitty vet care. You may be able to borrow a trap or carrier from a rescue group as well. In the future, look for carriers or crates at yard sales or you can get cardboard carriers that help temporarily from places like Petsmart. Please do update us.
Furballsmom Furballsmom and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Do you know of any other options?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is happening now? Explain to your dad that it would be the same as if he was unable to go to the bathroom.

Would your vet be willing to work out a payment plan?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the whole house first to make sure he isn't going somewhere else. Then, palpate, press with your fingertips, about an inch in around his lower abdomen. if you feel a hard big lump (some can be as large as an orange) it is an emergency and he needs to get in ASAP. If you feel nothing, (i would do this a couple of times a day) it is a UTI. You might just call your vet, describe things and see if they will give you an antibiotic over the phone, as long as you tell them there is no mass in his abdomen. Get a liquid and mix it in a small amount of tuna juice or a lickable treat. As long as he is peeing even a little, that usually means a urinary tract infection. Untreated he could get the bacteria in his blood and die. so SOMETHING has to be done. Make sure he is drinking lots of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noahshavingfun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird Furballsmom Furballsmom di and bob di and bob
An update on what's been going on:

The same day I posted this thread, after a few hours he finally peed a normal amount he usually does. Later on that day he peed once again (normally), and tomorrow the same thing etc.
It seems after a day/two he went back to normal? I really don't know what was happening those two days, I don't understand why he urinated only so little?

Is there any other explanation to why this might've happened?

It just really doesn't make sense to me.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats sometimes do make us worry. I agree that maybe he wasn’t drinking enough to pee that day. Does he get wet food? If not, you may want to give him that to help to be sure he stays hydrated. Cats just don’t always drink enough. I know I have one male that is very picky about the litter too. He doesn’t like to use a box that has anything in it. Picky! I respect his wishes about not running into any hidden surprises though. :lol: Can’t blame him there.
I would just keep an eye on his litter and drinking patterns for a little while to be sure. I am so very glad he is back to going normally! Yay! Thank you for letting us know!:heartshape: