Please Help Me!!!

acclark0310

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two grown female cats from a shelter here in town. Both were checked by a veterinarian and I have paperwork with their shot info and information saying they have been spayed. Both cats are female. My husband and I have noticed one cat has seemed to get really big in the month we have had them. Last night it dawned on me that she might be pregnant. I honestly believe that she is pregnant. I have never had cats before but she has been eating a lot, her stomach looks like she is hiding a ball and she meows non stop! She has been following me around the house and rubbing up against me every chance she gets. I honestly believed these cats were both spayed and I can tell where she had her surgery. What should I do? Should I contact the animal shelter to see if their on site veterinarian can examine her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acclark0310

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1731.JPG
The first picture is how she looked the day we adopted Sansa. Then I took a picture of her about a week and half ago and she looked this

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know very little about pregnant cats, but I bred horses for 15 years. She looks like she could definitely be in early pregnancy. Makes you wonder about the vet who performed the surgery.
There are only two ways to be sure. 1) get an ultrasound 2) wait and see if she has babies.
I prefer the first method.

acclark0310

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I prefer the first method as well! My other question is should the shelter be liable to spay after she has the litter of she is indeed pregnant? And should I ask them to help me place the kittens in good homes? I don't know the first thing about caring for animals during pregnancy and I definitely did not sign up for being a kitty grandma! I love my cat though even though it has been a short time. I feel a deep connection with her and will definitely be keeping her!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would have to call the shelter to see what their policy is about this. But first, take her back to the vet and have her checked for worms. Take a stool sample with you. A large infestation of worms can cause a cat to look pregnant and of course make them very hungry.

If it turns out she really is pregnant, not to worry. Usually cats deliver their kittens very easily and are easy to take care of. There are lots of articles on this site about what to expect with a pregnant cat. And, we are always here for you to answer questions.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My other question is should the shelter be liable to spay after she has the litter of she is indeed pregnant?
I would certainly hope so. After she is confirmed pregnant (if she is), take the confirmation and the paper saying she was spayed and demand that they fix the issue.
I don't know if you are willing to abort or not, but up to a certain point, this is always an option.

There are plenty of forum members with a lot more experience than myself on how to care for a pregnant cat. Once you know for sure, update and I'm sure they will help.

Makes you wonder about your other kitty...doesn't it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the shelter should definitely be responsible! Please get them to examine her and find out what you are dealing with.

acclark0310

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You would have to call the shelter to see what their policy is about this. But first, take her back to the vet and have her checked for worms. Take a stool sample with you. A large infestation of worms can cause a cat to look pregnant and of course make them very hungry.

If it turns out she really is pregnant, not to worry. Usually cats deliver their kittens very easily and are easy to take care of. There are lots of articles on this site about what to expect with a pregnant cat. And, we are always here for you to answer questions.
Thank you very much! This whole situation has just stressed me out very much and of course my first priority is making sure she is ok.

acclark0310

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would certainly hope so. After she is confirmed pregnant (if she is), take the confirmation and the paper saying she was spayed and demand that they fix the issue.
I don't know if you are willing to abort or not, but up to a certain point, this is always an option.

There are plenty of forum members with a lot more experience than myself on how to care for a pregnant cat. Once you know for sure, update and I'm sure they will help.

Makes you wonder about your other kitty...doesn't it?[/QUOTE
I am definitely worried about my other baby Lyanna... I feel very confused and misled.

acclark0310

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much! I most definitely will call the shelter first thing tomorrow!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with everyone. Please let us know what the shelter says.

She's a beautiful, sweet-sounding kitty! :)