Please help me, I think something's wrong with my cat!

Bluekitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a cat, her name is Sally, me and my family got her from the shelter around two years ago, she's blind from her left eye. We constantly put a special cream and eyedrops that the vet gave us due to eye discharge, recently her eye discharge baken a slight shade of light red, we are not very sure if it's blood, but it kept falling on her cheek and when it dried off it was red, we figured our other cat, Daisy, would help her clean it off as she always does, but the next day it was an open wound, not very deep but an obvious shade of red that we noticed was blood, it's not about the eye discharge anymore, she has the wound there and some of her fur on the place of it is falling out. She also has been pulling her fur out for the last couple of months but the vet told us to not worry about it. She's been sleeping more than usual today, less playful as well, I thought it was because she was not a kitten anymore, but she hasn't even played with Daisy which is unusual because they spend all day running around. I'm really worried about her health, both mental and physical, we are going to try to take her to the vet as soon as possible but meanwhile can anyone tell me if there's something I could do? Or if you any idea what's happening to her? I'LL APPRECIATE ANYTHING! PLEASE!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im thinking a on possibility of allerghy to something. Food or something else. Sores, falling out fur are common in such cases. Sores are often easiest to see where they have thin fur.
Has anything changed in her milieu or in her food?

Of course, changes are just one possibility. Sometimes a dormant allerghy wakes up by itself. For example, there becoming some stress factor...
Pulling of fur is common when they feel stressed...

Begin with calming, relaxing music. Perhaps some Feliway adapter could help too. Shouldnt hurt, may help.

Good you do have contact with your vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely go to the vet and in the meantime keep the skin near the eye clean and protected if you have an ointment for it so that it does not become a painful skin condition.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. All species, including humans, have bacteria in their saliva. So, Daisy might be attributing to Sally's eye issue by constantly licking it. And, might also have contributed to the wound. For now, I would try to distract Daisy from doing so until you get Sally to the vet.

The other thing we don't know about is why Sally has had to have special cream and eyedrops continually for her eye, and why is there always an eye discharge. This could be an ongoing issue that has evolved to the point of a wound.

You also didn't explain Sally's pulling her hair out - other places than around her eye? This could actually be an entirely separate issue, or it could be an allergy - or, it could be from stress due to her eye.

The best bet is to have her checked out by the vet and see what they say. But, please, do keep us posted.