Please help ... I need the courage to apply flea Advantage!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have found lots of tiny black dots while brushing Kitty, and own Advantage II for small "kats", and I love my Kitty Kat. However I am scared I will poison her or hurt her. She'd never been to the vet other than the TNR as far as I know, and I can only guess she weighs about 6 pounds of solid muscle plus jelly belly (gone down since on wet food... she's looking great!)

Half a tube is what the neighbor said - who cares for her cousins. I am just scared and would love some encouragement from my feline loving forum friends. I am scared if she reacts I won't know what to do at all.

Thanks!!! PS I am guessing she does not need to see a vet for any reason like a feral checkup? She seems fine otherwise.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Advantage II comes with a dosage for small cats - those between 2 pounds and 5 pounds. So, I am not sure why your neighbors suggested one-half of a tube, unless they are talking about the version for cats over 9 pounds. If it were me, I would be using the one designated for the 2 - 5 pound category. And, since she has been spayed, I am guessing she is over the age limit for any of these flea treatments (most don't want it put on kittens younger than 2 months old). I personally deem Advantage II to be one of the most safe flea treatments that there is. As is always the case, there are no guarantees when it comes to individual cats and flea treatments.

While it isn't as effective in my area as some of the other products on the market, it is the only one I am comfortable putting on my 16+ yo cat. Admittedly, all we are doing is keeping her fleas to a minimum - it is not eradicating them for her entirely.

If Kitty Kat hasn't been seen by a vet recently, it would still be advisable to get her in for a check up ahead of time - just in case there is something going on that you aren't aware of in terms of her overall health. Your vet would also know what products best work for where you are located.

And, either way you go, put the flea treatment on her when your vet is open, just in case you would need to take her to the vet for some (unlikely) reaction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. My neighbor has the relatives for Kitty Kat. I swear they all look alike! We are a neighborhood of grey striped cats! She has a few left, coyotes got most of them I think. We are in a safer (fenced) location.

She told me she applied the Advantage to her cats and it made them really sick but found that half the dose worked well.

As far as a vet, I'd have a traveling vet come out, but I am always afraid that will be the day KK takes a hike ... most unusual but she is not an indoor cat and I don't even own a carrier and she'd freak out. She is quite the couch potato especially since I got her a heated mat and I brush her. And, she's like, ten or so. So she doesn't run around as much.

So... just have the vet come out and hope KK is around for breakfast like always? Also maybe get a carrier just in case?
That's the long and short of it.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IMO, at her age, it would probably be worth it to have her checked out. I can't answer as to how you might ensure she hangs around, unless you coordinate the vet visit during the times she is normally hanging out at your place. It wouldn't hurt you to have a carrier on hand anyway. The older she gets the more she might need to be checked out by a vet over time. Ten, or so, is no 'spring chicken'!!

If the half dose worked for your neighbor, and these cats are related, then it might be best to go with her recommendation.