Please Help- I Need Any Possible Info On Jack's Skin Problem

Abby100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 11 month old cat Jack started experiencing skin problems 3 months ago. It started as scabs on one side of his face and has now spread to both sides as well as on his neck, shoulders, back, and legs. He scratches at the scabs and they bleed. The patches on his legs aren't really scabs but just don't have any fur. He is up to date on all flea medicine and the vet ruled fleas out as an issue. The first time we went to the vet, Jack got a steroid shot and Clavamox (oral antibiotic) to take daily. His scabs didn't get better so we went back. The vet thinks he is allergic to something in my apartment. He's a fully indoor cat and I have no idea what he's allergic to. The vet gave us new food and nothing changed, and I don't know what else to do. There are no toxic plants or anything in my home, I changed his water bowl, I don't use harmful chemicals or anything... My other cat and Jack's best friend, Nellie, has no skin problems. Jack is still the same sweet and playful kitty that he has always been, but it's killing me that he's going through this. Please help if you have any information please let me know

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abby100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also we started a cat allergy medication about a week ago that the vet recommended

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you change litter brands around the time the scabs started appearing? What kind of litter do you use? Have you tried switching to an all natural kind?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abby100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've been using the same litter since I adopted them when they were just a few weeks old. I haven't changed litter but it's not an all natural kind. Its the "So Phresh" brand(fragrance free) and I refill the container at the pet store. I feel like Jack is allergic to something that I brought into the home around when his scabs started but who knows. Either way I'm going to get some all natural litter asap. thank you!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet also do a culture for a fungal infection or perhaps scabies? I know you said your other cat if fine, but Nellie could just be lucky.
What was the different food the vet gave him? If it still contains ANY of the ingredients, he could still be allergic to it. It could be the protein, or any meat by-product, peas, corn, etc....Keep in mind though that it could take a few weeks before you notice any changes in his skin from a food allergy as the existing scabs need to heal, watch if no new ones form.
Do you think he would let you give him an apple cider vinegar bath? Apple cider vinegar is very soothing to the skin, has anti-microbial properties, and is safe for cats. I'm not quite sure what the ratio of vinegar to water is though, you would have to look that up. Or you could do a 50/50 ratio and give him a sponge bath.
If you want something that is good for the rashes that will be safe if he licks, you can use emu oil. It is expensive but it is an oil derived from emus (yes the animal) Emu oil is used for almost every skin ailment out there and has anti inflammatory properties. That's why it's so good for things like excema and other dermatitis conditions.
If I think of anything else I'll come back. I hope you figure it out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else to try is to use a calming agent such as Feliway for a few months to see if that helps. It could be stress related. If your carpets or flooring were treated prior to moving in, that might be the cause as well.