please help, I don't what to do.

MrsKellyO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a momma cat who gave birth about 3-4 weeks ago, I left yesterday and was gone most of the day, however I left momma cat with ample food and water while I was gone. When I got back the kittens were screaming their heads off and momma cat was ignoring them and refusing to feed them. I eventually was able to encourage momma cat to lay down and feed them but now the kittens themselves doesn't seem to be getting what they need, I'm worried momma cat's milk has run dry, but that should not be possible right? the kittens just started opening their eyes this week, they are 1000% dependent on momma cat's milk.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are others here who will have a lot more advice in this situation, but right off the bat, these kittens will need some bottle feeding - at least to help supplement until you figure out the issue. The kittens can't go without regular meals for long.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will need to take over mom duty by stimulating and feeding the little ones. The Kitten Lady has some tutorials and videos that can help, Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady

Not all moms are good ones and the mom could be going into heat again. My girls mom abandoned the whole litter around that same age too and she turned out only slightly crazy (but I think that's just my girls natural state).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got a momma cat who gave birth about 3-4 weeks ago, I left yesterday and was gone most of the day, however I left momma cat with ample food and water while I was gone. When I got back the kittens were screaming their heads off and momma cat was ignoring them and refusing to feed them. I eventually was able to encourage momma cat to lay down and feed them but now the kittens themselves doesn't seem to be getting what they need, I'm worried momma cat's milk has run dry, but that should not be possible right? the kittens just started opening their eyes this week, they are 1000% dependent on momma cat's milk.
I agree with the others, you will probably need to handfeed them. some good kmr (avoid Hartz and PetAg in ready made solution). goats milk is OK to use.
In a pinch you can use human breast milk BABY FORMULA, but dilute less.

Healthy kittens manage some time without food - in the wild momma must often leave them several or more hours... Still, its asap sooner than tomorrow...

Using bottle is easiest, but kittens whom had momma are often reluctant for bottle, so you may need to use a syringe. A little tricky, but doable... Train on a doll perhaps??

Look on how mommas teats looks, they are perhaps sore, or she perhaps even got mastitis? (blackish)

Last edited: