Please Help. Food Intolerance

euraln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, my name is lauren. i have a five year old orange tabby that i adopted from the shelter about a year ago. sweetest boy ive had, and i had no idea why anyone would surrender him.

however, i understood why a few months later when he began having problems. he had two UTIs that first year that were fixed with antibiotics. i then put him on the hills prescription diet for urinary care to prevent any more utis. i figured that was the worst of it. it fixed his urine problems, yet it made his stool literal orange liquid that SMELLED like AWFUL chemicals. he would even end up s***ing on the wall... i took him off of it and his stool was immediately better. but, months after he began constantly vomiting, either right after or soon after he would eat.

i have taken him to the vet numerous times throughout all of these experiences and spent over $5,000 on tests and food for them to tell me NOTHING was wrong with him. i can no longer afford to go to the vet. i began taking his health into my own hands by trying to make a good diet for him. i tried raw food, wet food, dry food, dry and wet food, raw food with goat milk, etc... the switched diets proved to work for some time but eventually each diet would end in the same result of him becoming intolerant of it altogether and unable to keep down food. he is currently going through this again and i am desperate for help. i love kiwi so much, and i hate seeing him like this, but i have been completely overcharged at the vet and i simply cant go any more. im willing to take any advice that might help with his diet and intolerance. i know its possible that he could be in pain because when he lays in bed with me at night he constantly flicks his tail as if irritated for no reason.
please, please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that he has an allergy to a particular ingredient in the food. What are you feeding him..wet, dry, raw, any particular protein or all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

euraln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i dont believe he has an allergy, as the vomiting is consisted with whatever diet i change him to. he is on a different dry food for urinary care and i mix it with wet food that has duck and sweet potato.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

euraln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
please boost he is not well tonight and i have no financial means to go to the vet again

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if a probiotic would help. You could also try feeding him smaller meals and more often to help him digest the food easier.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry though for the reason that brought you here. I feel for you, having a cat with digestive issues. I also, coincidentally, have an orange tabby with tummy issues. I also adopted her at about 2 or 3 years old, and quickly discovered her issues.

With Ruby, changing her food to a hypoallergenic duck canned food, along with a duck kibble for treats, helped a lot. She still has vomiting and/or diarrhea from time to time, and I've found balancing the mix of canned and wet food works the best to control it. However, if she eats too much dry, or even too much wet, that throws things off kilter. And though things have improved significantly in the 6 1/2 years since I adopted her, the problem has never been completed cured.

Since he's on the duck and sweet potato, have you ever tried just giving him that for a few days, with no kibble. It's possible there's an ingredient (chicken maybe) in the kibble that bothers him. Just a thought.

And does he have more vomiting or diarrhea? Or both.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat might have a gastrointestinal problem and food might just be upsetting it. Only a vet would be able to diagnose a gastrointestinal problem. Is there any other vet in your area you could go to? You could also ask your current vet to consult with a veterinary school or a larger vet hospital that has internal medicine vets.

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've gotten good advice from everyone so far, I'll just share what happened with my little orange guy. He was having somewhat similar problems to yours, he had some liquid orange diarrhea that ended up being orange semi-solid poops and sometimes very pale semi-solid poops (always very smelly and had a lot of gas), and occasional (seemingly random) vomiting. I had read (on this site!) that chicken is a common allergen/irritant, so I cut that out of his diet. It's hard, so many foods have chicken, and you also have to watch out for "poultry" cause that's probably chicken, as well as "liver" because it could be chicken too. After cutting out most of the chicken from his diet, he is immeasurably better. His poops are normal and he hasn't vomited since. I'd give rubysmama rubysmama 's advice a try, try cutting out what you think could be causing a problem completely and see if that helps at all.

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a cat once with digestion issues. Gave him "Ark Naturals Gentle Digest" and it helped his stomach.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are going through this. To calm his gut, you could try switching him to boiled hamburger broth then slowly add the meat to his meals. Boiled white rice water and/or plain canned pumpkin may firm up diarrhea/loose stools. You could try consulting a holistic vet about using red raspberry leaf/slippery elm/ marshmallow root teas.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has had digestive issues for years. She is now small portions many times a day. Only wet. She can eat different proteins but even if I switch very slowly she throws up then she is able to eat the other meat. I mix in tiki after dark chicken quail egg with her rawz. I Only feed her wet. Check the ingredients. Make sure there are no gums or very few,no fish or fish oil,no starches

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I feel the irritation that is bothering your orange kitti is his way of calming some irritant. is the flicking abrupt and fast with some attempts to bite deeply.if so there maybe a skin irritant, get a fine tooth comb and good lighting, part the hairs and take a good look at his skin.
The flicking could mean the diarrhea has broken down his health skin .take a look is the skin is weird looking.
Also, I read that there is a sort of sack at the anals that swells and vet service have to squeeze this swollen sack. Ask more questions then sum up a solution. Best wishes

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Gosh I'm so very very sorry to hear this! Are you weighing him, and checking for dehydration?

A couple of other thoughts - have you tried hydrolized food?
Although there is the possibility of this protein causing issues, I'm additionally thinking of boiled unseasoned chicken, with or without white rice, as I've read that some vets will prescribe this with the thought of "resetting" the digestive system. There's canned chicken as well.

I realize he's eating, but there might possibly be something in this that helps;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Is your water filtered?

Maybe something here might help;
(apologies for any dead links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets

Last edited:

KEWH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, my name is lauren. i have a five year old orange tabby that i adopted from the shelter about a year ago. sweetest boy ive had, and i had no idea why anyone would surrender him.

however, i understood why a few months later when he began having problems. he had two UTIs that first year that were fixed with antibiotics. i then put him on the hills prescription diet for urinary care to prevent any more utis. i figured that was the worst of it. it fixed his urine problems, yet it made his stool literal orange liquid that SMELLED like AWFUL chemicals. he would even end up s***ing on the wall... i took him off of it and his stool was immediately better. but, months after he began constantly vomiting, either right after or soon after he would eat.

i have taken him to the vet numerous times throughout all of these experiences and spent over $5,000 on tests and food for them to tell me NOTHING was wrong with him. i can no longer afford to go to the vet. i began taking his health into my own hands by trying to make a good diet for him. i tried raw food, wet food, dry food, dry and wet food, raw food with goat milk, etc... the switched diets proved to work for some time but eventually each diet would end in the same result of him becoming intolerant of it altogether and unable to keep down food. he is currently going through this again and i am desperate for help. i love kiwi so much, and i hate seeing him like this, but i have been completely overcharged at the vet and i simply cant go any more. im willing to take any advice that might help with his diet and intolerance. i know its possible that he could be in pain because when he lays in bed with me at night he constantly flicks his tail as if irritated for no reason.
please, please help!
I also have a cat (6 year old male tabby) with food issues. The vet tested for parasites , heart worm too, and found nothing really wrong. He said IBS. He is skinny and has appetite but often vomits after eating- sometimes well after- and is picky about the food I feed him. I tried using proplan sensitive stomach food. It helped a little. But it seems we have two or three good days followed by 2 very bad days. I am worried for him. I have had him since he was a kitten.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Happens to Peaches. 2 good days then bad so I make an appointment then cancel because she's fine the next day. I cannot convince my vet to run any tests so she will go somewhere else. I thought I found one but he used a rope to keep her down. I will not go back even though he suggested tests