Please help! Cat Nose is bleeding

Thecatlovee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My baby is 2.5 years, and always been an indoor cat. She has received all her vaccinations. Her nose has been crusty the past few months and vet is giving her antibiotic shots which clear the nose, and then it comes back. They did a fungal test, and it wasn’t fungal related. Her blood tests show she has high protein levels, but every other test came back normal.

she is constantly pawing at her nose and I’m starting to get worried. Has anyone experienced this or has any insight or advice on what I can do?

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH THANK GOODNESS! When I read the title, I was afraid that she was just gushing blood! I just drew my first deep breath since coming on the forum. But yes, it is worrying. So...when did this start? Some cats (some people, too) have nosebleeds during the winter months when the air in our houses (and outside) can be much drier than in the warmer months. A room humidifier where she spends most of her time would help, if this is the case. She may have developed nasal polyps, which would certainly account for the sneezing and pawing. Ask your vet if he has specifically checked for that. And he may need to do a nasal swab to test for exactly what bacteria may be causing this, if it is bacterial or viral. It could require a specific antibiotic/antiviral. Some do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be a chronic sinus condition, cats can take allergy medicine but you would have to have a vet tell you what kind and how much. A humidifier would definitely help too. I am surprised they didn't give her an allergy and steroid injection, which is pretty standard in things like this, which look like sores. You could first try some cat wound spray (found at farm supply stores like Tractor supply or online) sprayed on a rag (cats hate the spraying sound) and applied and then some antibiotic salve (without pain killers, that is toxic to cats),

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thecatlovee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your feedback!
She is headed to the vet tomorrow morning for her 5th visit. Hopefully they can run more tests to figure out what’s going on. Shes had this since October, and the antibiotic shots help, and then it comes back, but I don’t want to keep giving her that. Hopefully they can figure out what it is so we can find a permanent solution for it ❤ Will post an update!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates since Tuesdays vet visit? I have several kittens who get bloody mucus periodically from chronic URI and have to do the antibiotics routinely. I found that Homeopet's Feline Nose Relief at 10 drops per pint of fresh, clean well water works very well for most of the other outside ferals with the same problem, especially as they get older. For myself whose families used traditional healers, the protocol is to use herbal remedies for no more than 4-6 weeks maintenance or 10 days-2weeks for acute treatments; a rest period of about 2 weeks or until return of symptoms is at the conclusion of treatment.

Thecatlovee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your feedback. I will definitely try the nose relief. I have a feeling it might be a chronic URI.

She stopped eating and drinking on Monday. She had a biopsy done at the vet yesterday, they gave her fluids and a steroid shot. She currently has a cone on her head, and she absolutely hates it. She’s having trouble eating, I’ve been hand feeding her today but she doesn’t have much of an appetite.

We are waiting for the biopsy results to come back so we can hopefully pin it down to something and find a treatment for her. Praying it’s something easily treatable.

I will post an update once we have results ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she can't smell her food, she won't want to eat it. You may be able to give her some temporary relief by running your shower on full hot, and sitting in the steamy bathroom with her for a few minutes before mealtimes. Works a treat on cats, dogs, rats and kids! And grown up humans, as well!

Thecatlovee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

She has been resting a lot, eating more (still from our hands), and drinking her water! She’s been purring and being her sleepy self. She is still not as active (due to her cone) and she’s afraid we are going to kidnap her and take her back to the vet.

We are still waiting for her biopsy results. I haven’t applied anything to her nose due to her nose still recovering from surgery and the stitches. Waiting for results so I can figure out the next steps.

Thank you all for the support and advice. It really means a lot to me.

Thecatlovee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Just an update, her biopsy results came back and the doctor said it was inflammation. I’m glad it wasn’t cancer or anything concerning, but I still don’t know what is causing the inflammation. I feel like I am back to square 1. I don’t know how to help her, or what to do anymore. She doesn’t want to eat today (I tried force feeding as well). I gave her a variety of different foods, and she just didn’t want anything. She makes gagging noises if I put the food too close because she wants nothing to do with food at the moment. I gave her some water by force and let her sleep. I’m hoping she’ll eat in the morning when I try again.
Any advice or tips would be helpful. I’m so lost on what else I can do

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would try the Feline Nose relief in a lickable treat, and asking the vet about a steroid injection which really helps with inflammation and lasts for months. Maybe ask about giving human allergy pills too, you'd have to ask him about the dose. I'm so happy it's not cancer!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Di and bob about the steroid injection and Feline Nose Relief. For my next suggestion, always ask your vet first:
* You could consider using Slippery Elm Bark and/or Marshmallow Root (the plant used as thickener for the original "marshmallow" confection, the name distinguishes it from highlands mallow). Both plants are known for soothing mucus membranes which makes them popular with traditional healers for cases involving breathing, urinary, GI and oral issues. Personally, I avoid using commercial tinctures because the alcohol used as a preservative can cause a burning sensation. IMO, decocotions work best for cats (slowly.simmer herbs in a covered pan for 10-15 minutes and keep the lid on while it cools so medicine doesn't escape in the steam). A thick decoction can be diluted with water as needed to make a "tea". You can find these herbs online or in a health food store and try them on yourself (have a sip of the tea and apply a drop to your own nose - *for human use, such as urinary tract infection, coughing/wheezing, diarrhea, etc.,capsules can be used but drink lots of fresh water. For maintenance use for pets, capsules can be opened & sprinkled onto wet food. For therapeutic use, decoctions and teas are best).