Please help - 5 month old kitten paralysis ?!?

aaakers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Looking for any ideas about what could possibly be wrong with our kitten. He is only 5 months old, a British shorthair and we have only had him for one month.:( :( :( Out of nowhere when I came home from work Monday afternoon he was not able to move his back legs. He was kind of clomping and dragging them along the floor. Monday morning he was perfectly normal - running around the house, playing with his brother and eating a full breakfast. Both of his parents are show cats and have been fully tested for any illness/disease. He is still eating but has just starting urinating himself as he is having trouble moving around on his own. He has energy and still tries to play with my hand with his front paws.. does not seem to be depressed. He is an inside cat and has never been outside in his life.

Our vet was just as perplexed as us, she ran a full panel of blood tests and everything came up normal. He also tested negative for feline leukemia, fip and fiv. She is hesitant to do an x-ray because after a full body exam he showed no signs of injury or trauma. He does not appear to be in any pain.

One strange side note is that he just received his first round of vaccines Friday (3 days before paralysis started), although I do not think this is related I thought it would be important to mention. We have a dog and another cat in the house so they could have possibly been playing too rough or something but he is not showing any pain or signs of trauma. He also is still acting lovingly towards the dog and the cat, not afraid. We are confused and desperately searching for an answer. I've been thinking it could be a blood clot or stroke but he is so young I am hoping it is something treatable. Really hoping and trying to save this little man. Thank you so much for reading my post and for any suggestions you may have.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did he get a rabies vaccine on Friday? I've heard that it's very rare but can happen that rabies vaccines can cause hind line paralysis. More common in dogs, but still very rare. I really doubt this is it, but I guess anything is possible. Ask your Vet if it's even a possibility with whatever vaccine they used. I would still opt for an xray. He could have an infection in his spine or something oddball like that.

Hoping he recovers, but if not, cats can still have a good life when disabled. They don't really know the difference, as long as they aren't in pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aaakers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did he get a rabies vaccine on Friday? I've heard that it's very rare but can happen that rabies vaccines can cause hind line paralysis. More common in dogs, but still very rare. I really doubt this is it, but I guess anything is possible. Ask your Vet if it's even a possibility with whatever vaccine they used. I would still opt for an xray. He could have an infection in his spine or something oddball like that.

Hoping he recovers, but if not, cats can still have a good life when disabled. They don't really know the difference, as long as they aren't in pain.

He did not get a rabies vaccine yet. Just the FVRCP. We will most likely do an x-ray in the next few days thank you for the suggestions!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
let us know how he gets along, and if the xray shows anything.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If he only had FVRCP, it seems unlikely that he is reacting to the vaccine, but you never know. The use of multiple vaccines at one time can cause complications in some cats, although I am not saying that lameness is necessarily the symptom.

If the dog or cat played rough, but he enjoyed the play session, he would not show any fear of them. I am a little surprised that the vet did not do an x ray.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How is your kitten doing now? Coming in a little late to your thread, but... I think once you pursue the x-ray - if nothing shows up, then perhaps an ultrasound afterward. He is young, but that doesn't preclude some sort of nerve or congenital problem. It may not be 'curable' but given his young age, it is something that can be adaptable for him, if need be.

Once those tests are done, ask your vet about consulting with a specialty group or a vet university. They tend to have knowledge/experience that even the best of regular vets do not have, as they are exposed to cases that your vet may not ever see in their entire career.

Please do keep us posted. .