Please give advice I’m really stressing

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
My cat has fleas, it’s not a overly big infestation I see 1 or 2 here there, the home has been pest sprayed recently and steamed cleaned and she’s been treated with revolution flea treatment, but her sores aren’t getting any better, it seems she’s allergic to fleas, the sores on her neck are really worrying me, cause there’s nothing I can do to help, a vet did say I could get a antihistamine from the chemist but I’m scared of making her worse cause of her allergy to fleas, I don’t know what else she could be allergic too, also how to I go about applying her next dose of flea treatment if her neck has sores all over it? Please don’t just say to use a topical treatment like I’ve seen when somebody else asked this same question, as I have, but now I can’t apply it to the spot I’m supposed to because of her sores. I will post pictures. Also is it bad enough that she needs ti see a vet? She’s my support animal and the only reason I’m still here, I can’t lose her, I’ve already lost a cat to a flea infestation and it almost destroyed me, I can’t do that again, so please give me advice on what to do next. She also won’t let me look at her sores properly, I can’t wash her either as she despises being man handled.
0B17D41B-6A17-44E8-B68F-9D9490E3085E.jpeg
36617627-20D5-454A-BDD9-5BCC245E0B2C.jpeg
8EC235F5-4D01-4464-BC3A-5C043B2AB466.jpeg
E0B5CB5C-EAE7-4729-96FF-3D11C16AA5B4.jpeg
9CF894EA-A47B-4BC2-AA18-970DEECD7716.jpeg
C706D87A-791C-4D4C-B65E-01EA1B15A3BE.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi CrydallCatt CrydallCatt

Are the sores caused by her scratching or were they a reaction to the revolution?

Some cats are allergic to certain flea treatments, so if you think the revolution caused them don't use it again. Some cats are just extremely sensitive and scratch themselves raw after one flea bite.

I suggest you e-mail those pictures to your vet and ask their advice.There are other flea treatments you can use that might be more suitable for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Are the sores caused by her scratching or were they a reaction to the revolution?

Some cats are allergic to certain flea treatments, so if you think the revolution caused them don't use it again. Some cats are just extremely sensitive and scratch themselves raw after one flea bite.

I suggest you e-mail those pictures to your vet and ask their advice.There are other flea treatments you can use that might be more suitable for your cat.
I have no idea but I only noticed them after applying revolution flea treatment, but everyone I’ve spoke to including two vets has said it’s not the treatment and it’s a reaction to the fleas, I used to use frontline and she’s never had issues with that, only reason I used revolution is because that was the only one available at the time of purchase and was highly recommended so I may put frontline on her for the next treatment and see if she gets any better but I don’t know where to put the treatment as the sores are right where it’s meant to go

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the post. Revolution usually works great, so this makes me wonder if it's an allergic reaction to that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I may put frontline on her for the next treatment and see if she gets any better but I don’t know where to put the treatment as the sores are right where it’s meant to go.
I agree about reverting back to Frontline. How long until her next treatment is due? You could try using plain Neosporin on those spots to see if you can get them healed up better. Just a tiny bit rubbed into each spot, if she will let you, daily until the next treatment.

Another thing to try to heal them faster would be to use chamomile tea - buy the tea bags from any local grocery store, as they are almost always German - you don't want English, nor do you want any additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and use cotton balls or a soft cloth to apply the liquid to those spots - 2 or 3 times a day. The tea has soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent as well. It is also safe for her should she happen to ingest any.

I do know that there are some members who select multiple spots on the lower head/upper back area, split the hair in each area and only apply a little bit of the flea treatment to each place. How they manage that, I have no idea - it would never work for me like that with Feeby! But maybe you'd have better success with such a feat than me. The other thing is to apply it around that generalized area, the only reason that the back of the head/neck is the suggested area is for purposes of preventing a cat from licking it - so, just about any place on the body would actually work, tbh, if you can find some 'safe' spots. So, between these two options, maybe you can find some spots 'in between' the sores?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use that topical again. My long-haired cat had a reaction and lost almost all his hair! If it is just where the topical was applied, and it is, it is an allergic reaction to the medication, not fleas. flea reaction would cause sores all over her entire body. There are pills to give for fleas too, you might ask your vet. you could get a flea comb and see if she would allow you to use it, it would remove many of the fleas. go to a farm supply store and get a cat wound spray and soak a cotton ball or small cloth with it and apply it. you have to be quick, but it can be done. cats are afraid of the spraying sound so I apply it in that way. Then once the wounds are healed go back to the frontline.

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you all, I will be going back to frontline for her next treatment and see how she goes and will def try the tea as that sounds safest as she would try licking anything that’s applied to her neck. I don’t think I could do the multiple spots with her as she’s a very independent cat and hates getting her treatment, she won’t even let me comb her, but the comb I used isnt very great despite the price I paid for it as the comb teeth aren’t close together enough even though it says “flea comb” so I may just get a human lice comb and try that, I’ve thought about asking a mobile vet to come out and check her over and help with possibly giving her the next flea treatment as I may have to go to a tablet if there’s no where safe on her neck to apply the frontline, thank you again, will keep you all updated

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree about reverting back to Frontline. How long until her next treatment is due? You could try using plain Neosporin on those spots to see if you can get them healed up better. Just a tiny bit rubbed into each spot, if she will let you, daily until the next treatment.

Another thing to try to heal them faster would be to use chamomile tea - buy the tea bags from any local grocery store, as they are almost always German - you don't want English, nor do you want any additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and use cotton balls or a soft cloth to apply the liquid to those spots - 2 or 3 times a day. The tea has soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent as well. It is also safe for her should she happen to ingest any.

I do know that there are some members who select multiple spots on the lower head/upper back area, split the hair in each area and only apply a little bit of the flea treatment to each place. How they manage that, I have no idea - it would never work for me like that with Feeby! But maybe you'd have better success with such a feat than me. The other thing is to apply it around that generalized area, the only reason that the back of the head/neck is the suggested area is for purposes of preventing a cat from licking it - so, just about any place on the body would actually work, tbh, if you can find some 'safe' spots. So, between these two options, maybe you can find some spots 'in between' the sores?
Hey I managed to get pure camomile tea bags by twinnings, there wasn’t much in my supermarket, would these work?

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Cat seems clingy, she vomited 3 times early hours after grooming, trying not to freak out cause apparently that can happen after grooming if they have ingested a flea or too much fur. She begged me for food an hour later and has kept it down so far, I gave her a sachet that had liquids to keep her hydrated. I am a little worried her heart rate might be a little high or strong? It’s currently Sunday so I can’t get a mobile vet out to see her until Monday which I’m honestly thinking of doing to give me some peace of mind cause I’m so exhausted from waking up to check on her and stressing constantly

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I’ve looked through her fur and haven’t seen any fleas for 2 days, and her scratching has gone down a little, her gums still appear to be pink but she seems a little lazy, I’m worried, I’m calling the mobile vet tomorrow to see how much it will cost for them to come and check her over.

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check her claws for anything strange.

(Watch this post deleted by the admins for no apparent reason)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats that have reacted that way too. One got sores just like those. I changed her flea medicine and just made sure she stayed well hydrated and she is fine now. I also have a couple of cats that seem to react to other things. One reacts to certain kinds of litter so if you changed litter you might change back. Another reacts to certain foods. Again, if you changed anything, try changing back. A vet check is always a good idea and certainly relieves us of worry. Sending all calm and healing hopes! :vibes::heartshape:

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check her claws for anything strange.

(Watch this post deleted by the admins for no apparent reason)
What would I be looking for with her paws?

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have cats that have reacted that way too. One got sores just like those. I changed her flea medicine and just made sure she stayed well hydrated and she is fine now. I also have a couple of cats that seem to react to other things. One reacts to certain kinds of litter so if you changed litter you might change back. Another reacts to certain foods. Again, if you changed anything, try changing back. A vet check is always a good idea and certainly relieves us of worry. Sending all calm and healing hopes! :vibes::heartshape:
The vet came out 4 days ago, they confirmed it’s Miliary Dermatitis, but I also got a different brand flea treatment as well just in case to put on her when her sores clear up, the vet gave me tablets to help speed up her healing that I’ve been crushing up and putting in her food, so far so good. Though the fleas seem to be back despite the fact I’ve pest sprayed the whole house, steamed the floors, and vacuuming every 2-3 days whilst also washing bedding every 2-3 days

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so glad the vet checked her. Dermatitis is so aggravating! One flea bite can start it sometimes. In general I find that , and I know you said your cat does not like being combed, keeping the kitties skin oils stimulated by brushing helps. I use a very soft brush on sensitive kitties. When the skin is irritated they don’t like it but once healed I found they were far less jumpy and enjoyed it. When things are healed you may find it is something you can try again.
Fleas! Aaaarrrgh! Invasive creatures! I have read that vibrations or moisture can stimulate fleas eggs to hatch. If you continue your routine of steam cleaning and vacuuming over some weeks, you will have gotten any eggs to hatch and killed them. Be sure to dump your vacuum into a sealed trash bag and get it out right away. Clean the filter too. I mop with Dawn dish liquid and that kills fleas too. Easing cat bedding frequently helps me too. I live in an area where fleas are in the nearby woods so it is something I battle for Jeremiah and Mama. I use low dust litter too. Fleas can also cause parasites like worms. Some we can see and some we can’t so I use a flea treatment that gets worms too. Internal parasites can cause skin outbreaks too I think. We did get the skin conditions under control here. Thank goodness. Please do keep us updated. Hopefully this will be the end of kitty itching!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
My cat has fleas, it’s not a overly big infestation I see 1 or 2 here there, the home has been pest sprayed recently and steamed cleaned and she’s been treated with revolution flea treatment, but her sores aren’t getting any better, it seems she’s allergic to fleas, the sores on her neck are really worrying me, cause there’s nothing I can do to help, a vet did say I could get a antihistamine from the chemist but I’m scared of making her worse cause of her allergy to fleas, I don’t know what else she could be allergic too, also how to I go about applying her next dose of flea treatment if her neck has sores all over it? Please don’t just say to use a topical treatment like I’ve seen when somebody else asked this same question, as I have, but now I can’t apply it to the spot I’m supposed to because of her sores. I will post pictures. Also is it bad enough that she needs ti see a vet? She’s my support animal and the only reason I’m still here, I can’t lose her, I’ve already lost a cat to a flea infestation and it almost destroyed me, I can’t do that again, so please give me advice on what to do next. She also won’t let me look at her sores properly, I can’t wash her either as she despises being man handled.View attachment 410368View attachment 410369View attachment 410370View attachment 410371View attachment 410372View attachment 410373
Are "Flea Bombs" available in the U.K. ?

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I so glad the vet checked her. Dermatitis is so aggravating! One flea bite can start it sometimes. In general I find that , and I know you said your cat does not like being combed, keeping the kitties skin oils stimulated by brushing helps. I use a very soft brush on sensitive kitties. When the skin is irritated they don’t like it but once healed I found they were far less jumpy and enjoyed it. When things are healed you may find it is something you can try again.
Fleas! Aaaarrrgh! Invasive creatures! I have read that vibrations or moisture can stimulate fleas eggs to hatch. If you continue your routine of steam cleaning and vacuuming over some weeks, you will have gotten any eggs to hatch and killed them. Be sure to dump your vacuum into a sealed trash bag and get it out right away. Clean the filter too. I mop with Dawn dish liquid and that kills fleas too. Easing cat bedding frequently helps me too. I live in an area where fleas are in the nearby woods so it is something I battle for Jeremiah and Mama. I use low dust litter too. Fleas can also cause parasites like worms. Some we can see and some we can’t so I use a flea treatment that gets worms too. Internal parasites can cause skin outbreaks too I think. We did get the skin conditions under control here. Thank goodness. Please do keep us updated. Hopefully this will be the end of kitty itching!
It’s been 2 weeks-ish now since starting the treatment and all her sores are cleared up and we are at 1/4 of a tablet a week, which I am now going to give her 1 last dose and stop it as she seems to be back to normal, I have given her a new flea treatment called bravecto that pretty much nuked the last of the fleas as I’ve not seen any on her or any flea dirt where she lays on my bed since(my sheets are white so would be easy to spot) I will continue to vacuum every other day and steam maybe once a week to make sure there’s no eggs or larvae still hiding in the carpets but all in all they seem to finally be gone, and kitty is back to her affectionate self, I will try introducing combing to her with a softer comb but she’s very anxious cat that doesn’t like man handling do we’ll see if she allows it, thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it more than you know, she’s my baby.