Playing Or Aggression? New Cat / Resident Cat

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

About a week and a half ago I adopted a second kitty. My resident cat (Smog) is 8 years old, but still very active for his age - he likes to cuddle and sleep, but has maintained a mischievous kittenish streak as well. The new cat (I'm not settled on a name yet) is about 2 years old and has quite a playful side, but also really likes affection and cuddling. She is used to being around other cats, whereas Smog has been used to having the place to himself since I adopted him.

I have been trying to go through the recommended steps for introductions and just trying to move along based on how the cats were behaving. I kept them separated the first couple days, then started opening the door a crack so they could see each other and sniff noses. There was no hissing or aggression in that whole process (just some paws sticking through the crack to bop at each other curiously). I also did some site swapping during that time. So after a few days of that, when the new kitty snuck out as I was trying to get myself out of her safe room, I figured that I would give it a few seconds to see what happened since they had both been acting fairly comfortable and non-aggressive up to this point. She wasn't scared of my resident cat at all, and went right up to him to sniff noses. He was much more suspicious and backed away in fear, so I separated them to avoid overwhelming him.

I have slowly progressed the monitored interactions so that they are around each other for longer periods of time, though always with me watching. Smog is much less scared now - he will allow the nose sniffing and rubbing against when they first greet each other. But he's definitely still more suspicious of her than she is of him.

What I am unsure about is whether I should see certain patterns in their interactions as playful or aggressive/negative. The new kitty is much more keen to interact with Smog, and often it results in him running away and her chasing him a bit. Still no hissing or yowling though. She'll also try to wrestle him when he's laying somewhere, and he will wrestle back for a couple seconds but usually leaves quite soon. The vast majority of the time it is the new kitty initiating these encounters, and if one runs away it is nearly always Smog. However, yesterday he did playfully approach her a bit - as she rounded the corner he crouched down and did the butt wiggle, then ran towards her (but didn't go after her when he got there). And if he is on a higher level than her, he will sometimes give her a little bop with his paw. Oh, and earlier, Smaug was cuddled in his favourite spot (between my legs) and new kitty was curled up by my shoulder. When she saw Smaug laying/grooming, she went and tried to wrestle him, so he left the spot on my legs.

Once they get to chasing or wrestling or batting each other, I don't let it escalate and will distract them from each other and/or separate them depending on if it seems Smog is stressed. But I am having a really hard time judging whether this pattern is just them starting to figure out how to play with each other, or whether they are negative interactions for Smog since he is usually on the receiving end? I know they aren't full-on fighting because there's no hissing/yowling/injuring, but is it maybe still aggressive (at least from Smog's perspective)? Or does it sound like normal play? Or like the new kitty staking out the dominant role (and if so, is this okay or something I should intervene in by separating them)?

Any input would be appreciated, because I don't want to rush the introduction process just because I'm misinterpreting their behaviour. One last note - this behaviour isn't constant when they are together, but is happening intermittently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.s. Here is a picture of them together. Only lasted about five seconds before the new kitty (grey) jumped off, but it was one of the few times they were just sitting this close without wrestling or batting (though I think that may be because I was so close by that new kitty was focussed on me at the moment). She was the one who jumped up to join Smog.
View media item 420258

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is going really well actually. 8 out of 10 good. Your older cat is a little nervous, but nothing too bad in the scheme of things, and your two year old is just being playful, no dominance or aggression involved. You should be able to let them work it out at this point, and that may be the best bet. Distraction like you mentioned is fine, but actually separating them when you don't need to is just going to make the younger kitten more eager to play, and can actually be counterproductive (because the kitten will be more eager to jump on the older cat at first sight). I do recommend breaks if the older cat is more badly stressed, but yours seems to be doing pretty well at this point.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reassurance, ArtNJ. That really puts my mind at ease! And you are spot on about the separation causing the new kitty to be more antsy and riled up. I have definitely noticed that, which is part of the reason I have been trying to allow long-ish supervised interactions where both cats are free to roam the house (under my watchful eye :) lol). Having never done this before, I just was really worried that maybe I was rushing things or allowing negative associations to develop.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update, my resident cat is now initiating playful chase sessions with the new cat. I think after a bit of running around with her he started to realize she's not a threat to him. Is playful stalking behaviour from time to time on the normal spectrum? He still isn't hissing or looking super aggressive and it's not resulting in a fight or anything, but when he gets in an energetic mood he will now stalk her around and chase her. So now the tables have turned and I am worried he might bully her as he gets more confident haha.

He did try to politely crawl up onto the chair she was on and lie next to her yesterday, which was sweet. He kind of took up too much of the chair for her liking and lay partly on her leg, so she got up and left. But that seemed like some progress at least!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, they are doing great, chasing, pouncing, stalking and wrestling are all normal, although, granted more so for a 2 year old than an 8 year old. By 8, typically a cat with another cat they are on good terms with will typically have zero to two good play hunt-chase-pounce sessions in them a day, whereas a 2 year old may want to go much more often. They won't hurt each other, or rather, before cats get to that point they show plenty of warning signs, none of which you have reported.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My 8 year old is actually still quite active and kittenish (and mischievous lol), so he seems to not mind her energy level so far (though she is a bit more playful).

They actually were cuddling and grooming each other this afternoon, and I'm so happy! I think I lucked out with a pretty easy introduction process.

Notinks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is exactly the problem I am having at the moment. I am unfortunately gone for about 9 hours during the day, so am leaving the new cat in a bedroom and may be enhancing his pent up energy. I am not at a point where I trust him to wander unsupervised with the resident cat, though. Do you think Feliway would help in this situation also?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is exactly the problem I am having at the moment. I am unfortunately gone for about 9 hours during the day, so am leaving the new cat in a bedroom and may be enhancing his pent up energy. I am not at a point where I trust him to wander unsupervised with the resident cat, though. Do you think Feliway would help in this situation also?
Many members report that Feliway was very helpful, while others report that it did absolutely nothing. Absent a scientific study, all we can really say is that it may help some cats get along better.

Notinks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many members report that Feliway was very helpful, while others report that it did absolutely nothing. Absent a scientific study, all we can really say is that it may help some cats get along better.
Thank you. It is arriving in the mail today, so fingers are crossed!