Plastic allergies

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi casters! Does anyone have any personal experience with plastic allergies?

My vet said to replace his food and water bowl with stainless steel which I did but I was wondering if there can be a reaction to plastic from the food being inside his feeder or container? Or is it possible a plastic allergies to swatting / chewing on a toy that contains plastic?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Plastic bowls and plates used for food and drink can be easily contaminated and they harbor bacteria and therefore cats may get allergies from them and may have feline acne.

Best is to use stainless steel, ceramic or porcelain or bowls and plates. Except that you still have to rinse with hot water each day as porcelain and ceramic or glass may have hairline fractures that is not very visible to the hooman eyes and these fractures harborsbacteria too but at least they can be rinsed or soaked in hot water where plastic cannot as hot water will warp the plastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about toys?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Possible chance from plastic toys as they can break when chewed on and food debris from the mouth and teeth could be lodged in the cracks thus enabling bacteria growth.

Best to sanitize whatever toys your kitty have with a steam cleaner. Which also you can steam clean areas where your kitty rest and sleep. Steam cleaning is the safest for your kitty.