Pink Residue on Fancy Feast cans?

Caroline2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I am driving myself crazy with this. I started to wipe the tops of my cans down and will run a paper towel over the crease of the cans before opening it. It results in neon pink on my papertowel. I thought it was the label of the FF classic bc it was similar in color, however, its happened with various flavors (except gravy centers) from 5 different stores.

Does anyone know what this could be or have a can they could try it on? Again it is not just the top, but where it is sealed in the crease.

Attached a pic for reference.

Thank you!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No such thing on the FF cans I have either. Despite the fact that you got them from 5 different stores - assuming those are all local - it could be that they came from the same processing plant and it has something to do with the machinery they use to seal the cans.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe its food dye. Though I thought they discontinued using it.

Maybe contaminants from the machienery (gross) I would take it back either way. Machienes should be cleaned and steralized so that kind of cross contamination doesn't happen.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anybody ever spilled the tiniest bit of powdered sugar inside your cubpoards... A little taco seasoning... Maybe some prepackaged product...

...Just sayin'...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caroline2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anybody ever spilled the tiniest bit of powdered sugar inside your cubpoards... A little taco seasoning... Maybe some prepackaged product...

...Just sayin'...
[/QUOT

...Just sayin'...
lol No. This is not taco seasoning or anything from my cabinets. This is not something from inside my house. I have had my friends try this at their own homes... same thing.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything could have happened in a warehouse, somewhere. A carton or package of some powdery substance could have broken open, sending a cloud throughout the room.

Have you ever seen those viral videos where some idiot on a forklift collapses and entire warehouse?

If something like that happened in the warehouse where your cat food was stored before it was delivered to the store where you bought it, even the product that didn't fall could end up covered with dust from God knows what for weeks and even months, afterward.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had to give my best guess, I'd say it's probably residue from something inside a warehouse where it was canned, packaged, shipped, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. The processes for commercial canning are pretty well optimized at this point, in terms of what is INSIDE the can. It would be extremely rare to find contaminants inside commercially canned products today in 2023.

But there could be any number of substances on the outside. If I were the OP with this problem, I'd simply wash the outside of my cans with soap and water prior to opening and serving.