Picky cat - how to switch to healthy diet?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's important for Musiaka to start eating a good quality monoprotein canned food. Our vet suggested, that a cat has to feel like it has chosen it's own food and that putting a bowl full of new food it hasn't eaten before and expecting that the cat will eat it will never work. So I leave out two bowls for Musiaka at night - one with his current favorite, Purina Gourmet Melting Hearts, and one with the new food, mixed with Purina. The vet said to give it time and that eventually he will try to taste it.

It's been a week and Musiaka still hasn't touched the new food. I tried putting a bit into his mouth, that's how I got him to eat the foods he refused in the past, but he still doesn't want the monoprotein one. Right now I'm trying with turkey, but not so long ago I also tried with boar and duck. Even mixed with Purina, he won't touch it. Tried also putting some creamy treats on top of it - didn't even try licking it off. Purina's Melting Hearts is the only food he accepts right now, and even that was a hassle to find, as he wanted kibble the most, and I took him off kibble completely. Any advice on how to get him to eat the food that's healthy for him?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freeze dried treats like Cosma or Thrive sprinkled on top. Don't mix Purina in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freeze dried treats like Cosma or Thrive sprinkled on top. Don't mix Purina in.
We don't have such here in Lithuania... none of the toppers or freeze dried treats mentioned by posters

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you order from Zooplus ? Both Cosma and Thrive are on the German Zooplus and may be available from Zooplus in Lithuania - that is if you have Zooplus?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does he need to be on a monoprotein food for any particular reason? What is the flavor of his Purina Gourmet? I will tell you that I have an extremely picky cat, and he HATES turkey. Will not get near it! I've never tried boar with him, but he's also not fond of duck. He is a chicken guy and that's about it. No rabbit, no beef, hates fish of any kind, etc. You get the picture. So it may be that your guy just doesn't like the flavors you have picked out, or perhaps the texture is too different. But if he is eating the Purina with no problems, then I say it's better than nothing. But you can try the toppers mentioned above, or you can even try parmesan cheese, or tuna juice, or crushed treats, or any other thing that he usually likes.

I am wondering though, since he gets two bowls each meal, doesn't he go directly to the Purina? If so, then he shouldn't still be hungry, so naturally he won't eat the other food, right? I would set out the new food first and give it an hour or so. If after that he hasn't shown any interest, then I would switch out the bowls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he need to be on a monoprotein food for any particular reason? What is the flavor of his Purina Gourmet? I will tell you that I have an extremely picky cat, and he HATES turkey. Will not get near it! I've never tried boar with him, but he's also not fond of duck. He is a chicken guy and that's about it. No rabbit, no beef, hates fish of any kind, etc. You get the picture. So it may be that your guy just doesn't like the flavors you have picked out, or perhaps the texture is too different. But if he is eating the Purina with no problems, then I say it's better than nothing. But you can try the toppers mentioned above, or you can even try parmesan cheese, or tuna juice, or crushed treats, or any other thing that he usually likes.

I am wondering though, since he gets two bowls each meal, doesn't he go directly to the Purina? If so, then he shouldn't still be hungry, so naturally he won't eat the other food, right? I would set out the new food first and give it an hour or so. If after that he hasn't shown any interest, then I would switch out the bowls.
Due to gallstones and thickening of his upper stomach wall, his vet instructed us to switch to either hydrolised protein or monoprotein diet. It should have as little carbs as possible and no chicken. Musiaka throws up hairballs prettt much twice weekly also...

I think he does like turkey, as he loved Animonda's Von Feinstein Turkey hearts. But the texture in monoprotein canned foods is totally different, it's dry and heavy. I understand why my cat doesn't want, doesn't look nearly as tasty as Purina's Melting Hearts (its in flavor or beef, but there is a mix of different proteins there too). I tried warming the monoprotein one up, mashing it and adding the sauce from Purina, or some jelly from another food - its a no from Musiaka anyway.

I've found some freeze dried toppers to get shipped to me, but I think he will pick them out somehow. But I will try!

Otherwise he only gets two bowls for the night, one regular and one that pops open at 3 am, hoping he will get hungry enough to try the new food...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gotcha. So it IS important that he have a low carb diet. And possibly low fat because of the gallstones? The only other thing I can suggest for this issue is to try a different monoprotein food. Unfortunately, since you are not in the U.S., I can't give you any recommendations. Did you try googling "limited ingredient foods" and see what popped up? Or going to a natural pet food shop and asking for their help. I'll bet there are other brands that might work better for him.