Picking the right meal plan

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been thinking about adjusting my cat's meals. Archer is two years old and she's been on a mainly dry food diet for a while now, but I want to acclimate her a different diet so she can be healthier and more hydrated. She's actually picky when it comes to wet food, and we've been trying different brands to see what works. I want to do a mix of wet and dry, but Archer is a snacker, so it takes forever for her to finish her food, and I'm afraid that the wet food would go bad by then. Whenever I want to feed her wet food, I have to feed her separately from her 'regular' meal and make sure that she finishes it, won't be possible after social isolation ends.

I was also thinking about frozen raw food, but the options I've seen are a bit pricey. Would the raw food have the same problem of going bad as the wet food? Are there any good cheaper options that you guys like?

Thanks in advance!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Frozen raw food is basically raw meat. It's not safe to leave out for more than an hour even with a Frosty bowl.

Canned / tinned / pouch foods are completely cooked inside the sealed packaging so they are safe to leave out for a couple of hours or so at at normal-ish room temperature of about 70 F or cooler. I've left canned food out all day with no issue other than the food gettibg dry. You can use a programmable timed feeder to give your cat meals when you aren't able to do so. I like thr Petsafe 5 compartment one but there are others. You can freeze canned food into portion sizes and pop the frozen block into the feeder to slowly defrost and stay fresher longer.