Petite And Pregnant

Sophie’sBats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DF975E9D-76B7-4848-A560-AF45703B2B7F.jpeg New to this site and I’m hoping you can help. My cat, Sophie, is the first pregnant cat I’ve had as I usually adopted and they were already spayed. She is my rescue, is petite, 10 months old, and 8 weeks pregnant by a Devon Rex. My question is, they are both small cats, he is smaller than her, very muscular but small, and from all I’ve researched (I’ve googled and all the same articles keep appearing) cats are noticeably pregnant by this stage and yet Sophie could pass for a petite cat with a small pooch. She immediately went out of heat when we visited a friend with the Devon Rex, he got her. She has all the classic pregnancy signs but for her size. Her little belly has golf ball size lumps and they dropped lower yesterday. She is healthy, has been eating voraciously, and yesterday I started her on Mother and Kitten went food (she only eats wet) and she chowed down immediately. I’m wondering if during first pregnancy they are just smaller, plus small sire, plus petite Queen makes for slim pregnancy?
She was seen by vet before she became pregnant and is very healthy, affectionate, spunky, and athletic...and bff with my dog, who has been snuggling with her, a lot.
Thanks for your input,
EAC4487A-91A7-431A-8A03-6E82A82C57B9.jpeg CCB65FCC-B19B-404E-B6B4-9249F2FD6BD2.jpeg 06527578-C439-4EA5-83B6-865B901EBBC3.jpeg A7E9B151-0627-4236-88AB-63F9CCB71C35.jpeg FF793E0E-7BD3-4146-A3E1-1800699C9F61.jpeg 7CDBB462-A6DF-40EF-9F97-5B280AF6275E.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You feel the kittens as balls. How many are there? Did you ever felt them move?
As she has dropped now as you think, it shouldnt be long left, a couple of days...

As both parents are petite, its possible the kittens will also be sized below average.
This will mean, the margins are thinner. And if she is ready to deliver now, they may be premature too...

So be prepared for prematured and or smallish kittens. Get home an IR-heating lamp, an air humifidier, goats milk or KMR in powder, small syringes, glucose sugar if you can get it, otherwise white karo syrup... a scale measuring in grammes. (borrow the more costly gears from neighbours if so is)

As she is young, its not sure her instincts kicks in immediately, so be prepared to assist her with delivery and the first days of motherhood.

Otherwise, if God so wish and you have a little luck, it should go OK. Young mothers become often good mothers them too. And being petite is fairly common among cat moms. Its no hindrance for them to deliver, unless a kitten is unusually big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophie’sBats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
I have felt them move and I think it’s a small litter, maybe two or three. Thanks for the advice and I’ll start preparing. She already has a cozy box as she’s been nesting in my closet.

Sophie’sBats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bat Cat He’s a world traveler and has his own passport.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've already received good advice, I just want to add that the Devon Rex curly coat gene is recessive, so you can expect the kittens to be normal coated.

Is Bat Cat being used as a stud cat and is that why he's not neutered? He may be a bigger cat than you think... sparsely coated cats look smaller than they really are.

Sophie’sBats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bat cat is being used as stud and he weighs about 5# and my girl is 6 1/2. He felt lighter when I held him, he is a hugger. Ha!