Persistent stool issues (clostridium perfringens?)

NT_Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me with some thoughts/advice/words of kindness. I've spent a lot of time reading TCS posts about similar issues to what I've been experiencing and some of them have been really helpful, thank you!

I adopted two 7.5 month old kittens from a shelter in August. They were 3.5 months when they were removed from a multi-cat household (5 cats in total). They settled in with me very well, for the first 6 weeks of living with me they had consistently healthy stools. They are indoor boys. After 4 weeks I changed their food (to switch them to wet- Katkin). If anything their stool quality improved. Two weeks after the food change (2 days after I had started feeding them a slightly larger quantity of Katkin), I arrived home from work to find one of them (T) unwell - vomiting, diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain (hunched over). Took him to the vet and he was given anti-emetic injection. Both cats wormed again as a precaution. The following day his brother (N) became ill too, he vomited once and slept for a long period. I kept them on Katkin. Three days later, as they both seemed to be getting a lot better (both had unformed stools still though), T suddenly had another episode of fever and vomiting. Back to vets who advised I change their food to bland food diet. Stools didn't harden after several days, so I took in stool sample (single sample). This came back negative (culture test). For the following few weeks, both cats' stools remained half/half diarrhea/formed, never returning fully to normal. After a while I started to wonder if they were intolerant to something in the bland food (I've been feeding wet/dry mix) so started to transition them back incredibly slowly (over 2-3 weeks) onto their normal wet food (which their stool had always seemed healthier on when first introduced). About 2 weeks into this, on the day that I increased this from about 18% of daily calories to 33%, T had another episode of fever (confirmed by vet) and vomiting. Antibiotics were prescribed (metronidazole) for both cats. PCR stool sample (3 day) also collected (mixed sample from both cats). Throughout this course of metronidazole, stools remain half formed. Near the end of this course, I received a call from the vet with the PCR results. They'd tested negative for everything (test included FCV, toxoplasmosis, tritrichomonas foetus, giardia, salmonella, FPL) apart from clostridium perfringens alpha toxin which they tested positive for. The vet stressed that the lab had said that these results should be interpreted with caution, because c. perf. can be found in the guts of healthy cats, so it wasn't possible to know whether it was the cause of illness. Vet said that she would prescribe amoxicillin, as although metronidazole can be used to treat c. perf, cats can show neurological symptoms if kept on it for too long. They started taking amoxicillin the night after they had finished the metronidazole course that morning. Neither of their stools hardened up fully on this, it continued to be half formed really. However, frequency did decrease. I should say also - even when they have both had bad diarrhea they always do manage to go in their litter box. Shortly after they had finished this 2 week course, T's pooing frequency went from once a day to twice. By day 3, N had liquid diarrhoea suddenly. I called the vet on this day. I had taken another 3 day mixed stool sample as they were coming to the end of the course of amoxicillin but we were still waiting for the results of this. She agreed to prescribe 5 more days of amoxicillin as it had seemed to control things for the boys. Very quickly after starting amoxicillin again, stools firmed up again for both. It's strange how much their symptoms perfectly track one another. During this period, they stopped having the 'soft serve' bit at the end of their poo, and instead produced 'logs' which were dark brown on the outside and a lighter brown more mucusy poo on the inside. It seemed better than it had been. They finished these antibiotics 2 days ago, although T vomited up his breakfast (it was vomiting, not regurgitation) immediately after the last dose. He's never been sick before other than in the three flare-ups (during which he was very evidently ill with fever). This time there seemed to be no illness, he was running and playing and wanting more food almost immediately, and that night his poo was the same as it had been on the antibiotics (reasonably good). So I'm not sure where that came from or how relevant it is. Now, 72 hours post-finishing amoxicillin (and still waiting for the most recent PCR test results), as predicted, the poo is worsening again. T was really straining to poo tonight and produced a poo which was reasonably formed, but with a huge jelly-like bit of light-mid brown mucus in it. It was the kind of mucus that didn't even leave a mark on the plastic scoop if you touched it. He's been playing happily this evening again and eating/drinking usually but I am feeling so deflated and hopeless about all this.

It's hard to see an end in sight as this has been going on for nearly 10 weeks now (the boys are 11 months old now). They are such lovely boys and I love them very much, but I live on my own and I feel like I experience near constant stress and anxiety about whether I am going to arrive home to T in that terrible state again. He hasn't actually had a full-flare up since before the antibiotics, but as his poo is worsening, it doesn't make me feel confident he won't do.

Throughout all this time appetite has been really good for both and they continue to be on the Hills ID bland diet (wet and dry). I really really don't want to keep them on it long-term though, particularly as it doesn't seem to have done any wonders for them either! Both cats are a really healthy weight which is great. I've been giving them s boulardii (twice daily to ensure it's always in their system) + probiotics every day for a couple of weeks now but with no observable impact (Nexabiotic). I also give them additional fibre (75% psyllium husk + other probiotics) mixed in with their wet food twice daily as fibre is meant to create an environment not favourable to clostridium.

Last time I spoke to the vet, it felt a bit like she was out of options for treating the clostridium itself. She stressed again that it may not be the cause of the illness. My gut feeling tells me that it is likely though, because of the timing of the three flare-ups which all coincided with an increase in Katkin amount (high protein, low fibre - perfect for clostridium to grow in). It would also explain why both boys suddenly became ill initially at nearly exactly the same time (2 weeks after they had started Katkin - I am guessing it was just enough time potentially for the clostridium p. to grow to a dangerous level?). The vet has offered some other options which are to try treating this as 'pure IBD' by treating them with injected steroids (which would last 5-7 days) or with oral steroids. The disadvantage of this is that if it is clostridium p. causing the symptoms of the illness, then it could 'knock' them further and allow it to flourish. Advantage of oral over injectable is that they can be stopped if the boys worsen. Vet has said another option could be oxytetracyline which is v effective at reducing inflammation (but it's not effective for c. perf). Obviously there are lots of tests that could be done ie scans, but I really don't have the money for those and have thrown so much at this already - I am 60% of the way through the insurance limit. Previously the vets have always said it would be so unlikely for both cats to have developed IBD at the same time - and I agree - so I can't help but think that these 'IBD' treatments might be the wrong route to take.

At the moment I am still waiting for the PCR test and I have a strong feeling it will come back as positive which won't leave me much the wiser about what is causing their issues.

Based on all your experiences, does anyone have thoughts about why amoxicillin seems to be 'controlling' whatever it is causing the issue. Interestingly, their poo 2-3 days off amoxicillin seems almost worse (way more mucusy) than it did when they were not on antibiotics before c. perf. was identified as being the issue. This makes me wonder whether rather than reaching for more treatment (more antibiotics, or steroids), I should give them some time (potentially on a 100% chicken diet to rest their gut for a bit? But this is also a further change of food...) without anything, to see whether this helps to 'reset' them. That said, that is effectively what I tried to do before they were prescribed antibiotics, and it never did resolve.

Any thoughts/advice would be so appreciated. The worry about my boys is really taking its toll on me and I can't see an end in sight right now!

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there,
Sorry to hear your boys have been having such a hard time! One of my cats also tested positive for C. Perf w/ the alpha toxin back in December. He didn't have the diarreah, fever or vomiting though, just blood on his bottom every time he pooped. Cosmos wasn't given amoxicillin for it though, so I can't comment much on that. The vet at the time did give him Metro, which did nothing. The fact that you're already giving your kittens S Boulardii is excellent. Is it the emergency Stop Diarreah dose or the manitence dose? My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do? (foodfurlife.com) If the latter, maybe try increasing the frequency/amount of S Boulardii and see if that helps. I also agree with you about it being very unlikely for both kittens to have suddenly developed IBD at the same time, and feel like IBD can sometimes be a default response from vets when they dont know what's causing the issue. Having small amounts of C Perf the gut is normal, but not high enough to be producing the alpha toxin and causing illness. The fact that the vets are waffling over whether or not the C Perf is causing the illness is insane.

If I were you, I would avoid feeding Katkin again, as that's very likely where they got the bacteria from. Don't let that scare you off from feeing high protein and low carb diets though as that's what cats are meant to eat. Trying a simple bland diet also sounds good as a temporary measure. A super simple way to do so could be giving them cooked or raw chicken with a completer like EZ Complete EZComplete Premix Information (foodfurlife.com) or Alnutrin (you'll have to add liver if using this one) A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements (knowwhatyoufeed.com) to ensure they're getting all of the nutrients that they need. That way you can have the peace of mind that the kittens are eating food thats free of contamination and things like wheat, corn, soy, grains, gums, and all of the other things that companies like Hills, Royal Cannin, etc add to their food.

Another option is trying the Kitty Biome Gut Restore supplements. KittyBiome™ Gut Restore Supplement – AnimalBiome My cat, Cosmos, is taking a course of them right now after having his microbiome nuked from 7 months of antibiotics. He was being given Marbofloxacin for suspected granulomatous colitis, only to finally get a colonoscopy and FISH test which showed he never actually had that. He had their micro biome test done earlier this month and it showed his system was missing over 20 species of bacteria. I mention this as a reminder that antibiotics do take a real toll on the system. Rather than giving your boys even more of them, it might be worth trying out the Gut Restore instead. It will bring the good bacteria back and will push the C Perf and any other bad bacteria back into proper proportion, restoring balance within their systems.

I would definitely give those options a try before resorting to steroids. Especially when there hasn't been anything done to even confirm them suddenly having something like IBD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NT_Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your really helpful reply and for your encouraging words. I'm relieved to hear that you think my line of thinking makes sense re the alpha toxins/IBD not being likely. Can I ask how your cat is doing now and if they've recovered from CPAT, what you think helped this to happen, and how long did it take? I think the fact that this still seems to be an issue after effectively 5 weeks of 2 different antibiotics (which I know of an issue in itself!) is making me feel a bit hopeless that this will clear up, particularly without trying a different antibiotic, even though I really want to avoid that if I can. I just so fear them becoming suddenly so ill again. I've been giving them the emergency dose of s boulardii (2 capsules each a day of Nexabiotic). Funnily enough I've ordered some Gut Restore Supplements as I really hope that might help them, but they don't ship to the UK so it's very complex getting them here via a friend. It could take a while, I may not have them for another month so need to find some kind of contingency option to get us through before then without letting the c. perf build up too much again. I've ordered a food completer and think that I will try the bland chicken for a while to see if I can give them a chance to reset. My only anxiety about that is that their dry food currently (which may be irritating their gut anyway as it has brewers rice and grains in) has a fair degree of fiber in it and I understand fiber is important for creating a less favourable environment for c. perf. I don't want to inadvertently worsen things by removing fibre. I'll continue adding in psyllium husk and I've also ordered some tinned pumpkin, which again isn't all too easy to get hold of in the UK.

Thanks again so much for replying to me.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. =D Cosmos is doing well. He got his infection with it from a bad package of pork. He ate 9 meals worth of it and the blood started showing up. His sister ate 2 meals of it and also got blood on her bottom, but hers stopped immediately since that confirmed where the problem came from and I threw the food away. For Cosmos, the C Perf is finally at an amount where it should be (according to his micro biome test) and he no longer has blood on his bottom. I dont know if it was giving him up to 50 billion CFU of S Boulardii for a few months that did it or the 7 months of Marbofloxacin. The latter wasn't being given for the C Perf though (as granulomatous colitis is caused by E Coli) and I dont know if it's effective against it. Don't lose hope though, the C Perf is persistent but recovery is definitely possible! In Comos's case, the blood on his bottom from the C perf lasted for three months. He then suddenly had a reoccurring rectal prolapse (and has a long thread on here about it) which sent him down the granulomatous colitis and Marbofloxacin route. He's doing much better w/ that as well.

As for your kittens fiber needs, you can buy psyllium husks yourself and add it to their plain chicken. They dont have to eat dry food in order to have fiber. My cats get 1 tsp of psyllium added to their weekly batches of homemade food. Plus, if you have your own psyllium husk, you can control exactly how much they get of it.

I'm glad you've found a way to get some Gut Restore. It's weird that they dont ship to the UK since they told me they get samples for their micro biome test from all over the world. Fingers crossed it gets to you as soon as possible!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a cat right now who was recently diagnosed with C. Perf and opted to first try S. Boulardi with MOS, and will follow up after 30 days or so with Nexabiotic on an ongoing basis. I did a LOT of research on this and my understanding is that the MOS is what is really helpful in erradicating the toxins from the C. Perf, which my guy also has. (BTW, my guy also had diarrhea and vomiting,but no fever) I am also using FortiFlora because it's the only way I can get him to take his supplements, and that immediately formed up his stools to "normal". Yay! We are also giving him Cerenia for his vomiting, as needed. We did dose him for the first three days, then only twice since then, but sometimes it's hard to tell if he's really vomiting or regurgitating because it's almost always immediately after eating.

Anyway, our Vet was in agreement to wait and see how the S. Boulardi with MOS and extra fiber work before resorting to antibiotics, since they come with their own set of issues. Oh, and I am having to switch up his food quite a bit because he was eating raw (probably how he got the C. Perf in the first place) so now I'm hesitant to feed that, and honestly, he doesn't seem to want it at the moment. But he's not used to anything else, so it's hard finding canned food he likes, thus the switching up of foods.

I'm thinking it's the Katkin that's the issue. Did you call them and let them know that both your cats were diagnosed with C. Perf with Enterotoxins? You should probably do so if you haven't so they can check into it since this is a homemade food. If they can discover an issue, then maybe you can resume serving it at some point in the future.

NT_Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome. =D Cosmos is doing well. He got his infection with it from a bad package of pork. He ate 9 meals worth of it and the blood started showing up. His sister ate 2 meals of it and also got blood on her bottom, but hers stopped immediately since that confirmed where the problem came from and I threw the food away. For Cosmos, the C Perf is finally at an amount where it should be (according to his micro biome test) and he no longer has blood on his bottom. I dont know if it was giving him up to 50 billion CFU of S Boulardii for a few months that did it or the 7 months of Marbofloxacin. The latter wasn't being given for the C Perf though (as granulomatous colitis is caused by E Coli) and I dont know if it's effective against it. Don't lose hope though, the C Perf is persistent but recovery is definitely possible! In Comos's case, the blood on his bottom from the C perf lasted for three months. He then suddenly had a reoccurring rectal prolapse (and has a long thread on here about it) which sent him down the granulomatous colitis and Marbofloxacin route. He's doing much better w/ that as well.

As for your kittens fiber needs, you can buy psyllium husks yourself and add it to their plain chicken. They dont have to eat dry food in order to have fiber. My cats get 1 tsp of psyllium added to their weekly batches of homemade food. Plus, if you have your own psyllium husk, you can control exactly how much they get of it.

I'm glad you've found a way to get some Gut Restore. It's weird that they dont ship to the UK since they told me they get samples for their micro biome test from all over the world. Fingers crossed it gets to you as soon as possible!
That's so good to hear that Cosmos seems to be doing a lot better. I have noticed some of the blood on T's bottom recently too, just a small amount and dried. I hope it doesn't become a rectal prolapse!

Yes, I have the psyllium husk powder so I will keep on adding that. And fingers crossed I will get the GutRestore soon...

The boys' poo has continued to deteriorate since the antibiotics finished so unfortunately they are back on the amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for now. I'm not keen on the antibiotic use but it does feel like the safest option for them right now, as it feels as though the toxins start to repopulate so fast as soon as they come off the antibiotics. I'm not sure what we are going to do long-term (regular vet isn't back until towards the end of the week) though and I am feeling quite anxious about that. If/when the GutRestore arrives, then hopefully I can start to taper them off the antibiotics and onto that.

NT_Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat right now who was recently diagnosed with C. Perf and opted to first try S. Boulardi with MOS, and will follow up after 30 days or so with Nexabiotic on an ongoing basis. I did a LOT of research on this and my understanding is that the MOS is what is really helpful in erradicating the toxins from the C. Perf, which my guy also has. (BTW, my guy also had diarrhea and vomiting,but no fever) I am also using FortiFlora because it's the only way I can get him to take his supplements, and that immediately formed up his stools to "normal". Yay! We are also giving him Cerenia for his vomiting, as needed. We did dose him for the first three days, then only twice since then, but sometimes it's hard to tell if he's really vomiting or regurgitating because it's almost always immediately after eating.

Anyway, our Vet was in agreement to wait and see how the S. Boulardi with MOS and extra fiber work before resorting to antibiotics, since they come with their own set of issues. Oh, and I am having to switch up his food quite a bit because he was eating raw (probably how he got the C. Perf in the first place) so now I'm hesitant to feed that, and honestly, he doesn't seem to want it at the moment. But he's not used to anything else, so it's hard finding canned food he likes, thus the switching up of foods.

I'm thinking it's the Katkin that's the issue. Did you call them and let them know that both your cats were diagnosed with C. Perf with Enterotoxins? You should probably do so if you haven't so they can check into it since this is a homemade food. If they can discover an issue, then maybe you can resume serving it at some point in the future.
Thanks so much for sharing this with me, please keep me updated on how it goes for you. That is so great the stools formed on the ForiFlora. It's tough finding the food that works and also that cats like!

That's really useful to know about MOS. I've ordered some MOS + S. Boulardii too now (Jarrow) although I'm unsure whether it'll still be worth giving whilst they are back on antibiotics (as of today). I have read that S. Boulardii is effective whilst antibiotics are being taken but I'm not sure what the situation is with MOS. I have been adding fibre (via psyllium husk) as I read about it altering the PH to make the conditions less favourable for clostridium p. growth. However, I'm not been seeinga huge difference so far and I'm cautious of adding too much as I understand it could contribute to dehydration? Have you tried using canned pumpkin at all? I understand it's a source of fibre. It's not very easy to get hold of in the UK but I have just ordered some online.

NT_Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
J Jabzilla mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens I spoke to the vet today again. The boys are doing much better now that they are back on amoxicillin/clavulanic acid. I think we are also going to try a true high fiber diet for a bit too. They are happy to keep on trying things as the boys do generally seem really well, but she did mention that we may need to think at some point about ruling out any underlying causes that might be making it harder for them to fight this off. She mentioned testing for FELV/FIV via a blood test to rule these out and said that cats can be asymptomatic. I'm now quite worried about the possibility of FELV, even though I am also really conscious that from all the research I have done, it is not uncommon at all for cats/dogs to struggle to fight this particular bacteria off, even with the help of antibiotics. Rescue centers don't routinely test for this in the UK so I don't know of their status. I just wondered out of curiosity whether you tested for this with your cats?

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear they're doing better! <3 Fingers crossed that things continue going in this positive direction! Cosmos wasn't initially tested for FELV or FIV when he was being seen about the blood on his bottom by a regular vet. Months later though, after switching to an internal med specialist, she had him tested for it and his came up negative.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Darko was also tested for these, I believe as part of his routine blood work. All I remember is his Vet telling me those tests came back negative and I was kind of surprised (and happy) they had even tested for them.

And I just realized I did forget to mention that I did buy him some food with higher fiber than normal for him, per the Vet. Not an easy task with wet food, so I actually had to add some dry food to his plate. Hoping this doesn't turn him into a dry food addict. Gosh, from eating raw to kibble :cringe:. This hurts me to do it, BUT, he does seem much improved, and I'm not able to give him any of the other items I'm supposed to be giving him (psyllium, s. boulardi with MOS) even with the FortiFlora anymore, so am hoping just the higher fiber food is going to help him get rid of it.

I'm hoping you can get your babies fixed up sooner than later and that it's nothing too serious :vibes::vibes:

NT_Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Darko was also tested for these, I believe as part of his routine blood work. All I remember is his Vet telling me those tests came back negative and I was kind of surprised (and happy) they had even tested for them.

And I just realized I did forget to mention that I did buy him some food with higher fiber than normal for him, per the Vet. Not an easy task with wet food, so I actually had to add some dry food to his plate. Hoping this doesn't turn him into a dry food addict. Gosh, from eating raw to kibble :cringe:. This hurts me to do it, BUT, he does seem much improved, and I'm not able to give him any of the other items I'm supposed to be giving him (psyllium, s. boulardi with MOS) even with the FortiFlora anymore, so am hoping just the higher fiber food is going to help him get rid of it.

I'm hoping you can get your babies fixed up sooner than later and that it's nothing too serious :vibes::vibes:
Thought I'd check in and see how your boy is getting on.

I took T to the vet to try and get him tested for FELV/FIV, but he became so fearful that they weren't able to get blood. They said we could try with gabapentin but I've decided to leave it for now.

My boys have been doing a little better but still absolutely not perfect. They finished antibiotics 2 weeks ago and since then they've been on two weeks of prokolin, which they've just finished. Four days ago they also started on Animal Biome FMT supplement capsules - too early still to see what difference it is making though.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guy appears to be fine now, thanks for asking. I was only able to get the supplements I bought for him IN to him a few times as he became quite picky, but I'm guessing that high fiber food must have really helped. I have never seen so much poop from a cat, and it's been well formed for at least a month now. And I'm encouraged that my other cat has never had any issues.

I haven't taken in another stool sample for a new PCR as I figure I'll wait another month or so for that. Besides, now that they are both eating the same foods, it's really difficult to tell whose poopis whose. That may be a problem unless I catch Darko in the act like I did last time.

Hoping the additional of the Animal Biome does the trick for you :crossfingers: