Persistent Right Aortic Arch

JKR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience dealing with a cat diagnosed with PRAA? My foster cat is approximately 1 year old. For the last 7 months he has been on a liquid diet with food (Sheba Chicken Pate + water for thinner liquid) being pureed and strained for small pieces of solid food. Over the last month or so he has started pulling out fur on his hips and lower back. Is this common for cat with PRAA? Any insights would be appreciated! Thank you!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to read this. I have to admit I had never heard of this in cats before, and I find it hard to believe that pulling out his fur has anything to do with PRAA, though I'm not expert.
It sounds more like a compulsive behavior given by itch or pain in that region.

Did you vet advised you on surgery for fixing PRAA?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that it doesn't seem like the PRAA could be related to the pulling out of his fur in those areas. That behavior IS usually related to pain or itching in the specific area. And I also wonder if they are planning on surgery to fix the PRAA. Usually the younger the cat, the better the outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JKR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! The vet tested for parasites and skin rashes. Both negative. Vet gave me Gabapentin to give him thinking it was stress / anxiety related. Regulating the dosage was a little challenging (balancing between zombie kitty to normal kitty). It doesn't really seem to help. He is still pulling out his fur. Maybe a cat anxiety vest like Thundershirt would help. Has anyone use this? Concerning his surgery. It is expensive ($7,000 - $8,000) so shelter is planning a fundraiser along with looking for a local animal hospital who may do it pro bono or at least try to get vet surgeon to donate their time. Local universities with Vet programs are also being contacted.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not sure on the thundershirt. I have heard those work for specific times (during storms, fireworks, etc), but if he's under constant stress that means he would need to wear it all the time. Don't know what that would do. Here is an article on dealing with stress in a cat that might help, IF it's caused by stress, of course: Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite