Persian cat stopped eating. Vet stumped.

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat peeps-

This is Cookie, our 8 year old persian calico female. Brief background: has asthma which we medicate with inhaler (ventolin and flovent). And we also suspect feline herpes since she was a rescue cat. Has respiratory flare-ups which we suspect are aggravated by her feline herpes.

About a month ago we noticed that she was scratching a patch of her neck so hard that it caused a patch of hair loss. Around the same time we noticed that she stopped eating wet food (Merrick), and would only eat her dry kibble (N&D Prime). Very unusual as she usually wolfs down any food in front of her. So we took her to get examined at the vet. Her energy levels are the same, pees and poos are normal. Still drinking water from her fountain. Everything seems normal except for her lack of appetite.

Vet Visit #1: March 2020. Doc noted that she has enlarged lymph nodes. Possibly linked to an issue we also had last year where she had a lymph node that was so enlarged it had to get i removed (it got sent to lab for testing and tested negative for cancer, thank goodness). Doc's theory: she has some sort of underlying infection that is causing this issue. Doc also noticed during same visit that she had conjunctivitis, which we treated with Tobrex 0.3% Opth Solution. Eyes cleared up. Doc also prescribed 2 weeks of prednisone.

Results: prednisone helped for about a week and her appetite was somewhat normal. But as we reduced her dosage, she stopped eating again. We were down to hand-feeding her wet food. Scheduled another vet visit.

Vet Visit #2: April 2020. Different doctor at same clinic. Different Doc said her weight is stable. Also said her bowels felt "hard". Recommended ultrasound in case there is a cancerous growth in her bowels causing problems. Prescribed maropitant citrate tablets for anti-nausea because this vet suggested that she might be nauseous which could be suppressing her appetite.

Results: Cookie hated the pills. Started drooling after we gave them to her. Appetite got worse. HOWEVER we also felt like this other vet (never worked with her at our usual clinic before) was just guessing and not confident at all. Found her very unprofessional and did not inspire any sort of confidence in us. This clinic is also getting really questionable and not following up with us and answering calls. Cookie still not eating as much. Now dislikes dry kibble and wet cat food.

Vet Visit #3: Monday this week. Decided to got to different vet clinic completely. Did the ultrasound with new vet. Results normal. This vet was much better and suggested that something could be interfering with her sense of smell, because if a cat can't smell their food they won't eat it. This is new information to us and we were just glad to have a vet who didn't beat around the bush and gave us practical advice. Doc also suggested that we give her Flovent 2x a day on a long term basis. Appetite still not great.

Today: Tried buying her stinkiest, fishiest cheap cat food. She licked the water but didn't really eat the food. Also noticed her nose is whistling.

Our going theory: She has some sort of lingering, underlying viral infection that is interfering with her sense of smell. Might be causing congestion. Because when we open her bin of kibble she runs over to give it a sniff. And she still comes to the kitchen when we crack open a fresh can of cat food, but just takes a lick then walks off. I feel like she WANTS to eat but something is turning her off of her food.

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.05.27 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cute kitty! I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues :<

My first thought with a cat going off food is a dental issue. Did any of the vets you visited give her teeth and gums a thorough check? Some vets neglect to do that, for whatever reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cute kitty! I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues :<

My first thought with a cat going off food is a dental issue. Did any of the vets you visited give her teeth and gums a thorough check? Some vets neglect to do that, for whatever reason.
We did ask about that as we suspected tooth resorption! Had two different vets check. One vet said her teeth are "acceptable". The other said she has a "moderate" case of plaque build up. We'll likely do a cleaning this summer. But I also understand that no vet can visually rule out resorption unless they put her under and do a teeth cleaning.

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also noted that my appointment dates say 2020. Should be 2021. Haven't totally adjusted to New Year calendaring.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
We did ask about that as we suspected tooth resorption! Had two different vets check. One vet said her teeth are "acceptable". The other said she has a "moderate" case of plaque build up. We'll likely do a cleaning this summer. But I also understand that no vet can visually rule out resorption unless they put her under and do a teeth cleaning.
Is there any chance you could get an xray done under sedation, just to rule out a resorptive lesion completely? Given her total lack of symptoms, other than progressive refusal to eat, I'm unsure how likely it is to actually be an infection that's causing the refusal to eat.
Did you get the ultrasound done? Was anything suspicious found?

Also! Apologies if I missed you mentioning , but when did you last get a full blood workup for her (i.e. has there been one since she started completely going off her food)? Are her values within normal range? Has there been any testing for bacterial infections, or for viral titres?

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any chance you could get an xray done under sedation, just to rule out a resorptive lesion completely?
Will inquire about this. But given the cost of an X-ray wouldn't it be better to go and do a cleaning, which might have the added benefit of uncovering a tooth resorption?

Did you get the ultrasound done? Was anything suspicious found?
Yes we did get the ultrasound done on Vet Visit #3. Normal results.

Also! Apologies if I missed you mentioning , but when did you last get a full blood workup for her (i.e. has there been one since she started completely going off her food)? Are her values within normal range? Has there been any testing for bacterial infections, or for viral titres?
I forgot to mention that we DID get blood work done during Vet Visit #1. Showed nothing of concern but I also don't know what exactly they tested for.

No testing has been done for bacterial/viral infections. I didn't know this was an option- what can we suggest to our vet? Because this could be beneficial.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Will inquire about this. But given the cost of an X-ray wouldn't it be better to go and do a cleaning, which might have the added benefit of uncovering a tooth resorption?
If you're able to schedule a tooth cleaning in the near future, of course!

I forgot to mention that we DID get blood work done during Vet Visit #1. Showed nothing of concern but I also don't know what exactly they tested for.
Could you find out what they tested for?

No testing has been done for bacterial/viral infections. I didn't know this was an option- what can we suggest to our vet? Because this could be beneficial.
Generally it's something done to confirm/rule out specific viruses or bacteria when a cat comes into the vet's office with specific symptoms. For example, when I took my kitty in because she had a bad cold, and she had small lesions on the roof of her mouth, she was tested for feline herpesvirus and feline calicivirus :> It's hard to say what to recommend in your case, given your vets seem to know so little about what could be going on.
In your position, I'd request bloodwork results from vet 1, and go for a retest at another vet clinic (different to vet 3's clinic, if there's another good one within driving distance you can book at). Ask what they'd recommend tested for a cat with a history of lymph node issues and a suspected infection causing her to not eat. Best guess is that they'll initially test her immune cell values, and possibly her organ function values, just to rule out alternate causes. You want the retest because it's been nearly a month, if I'm parsing correctly. Having both will let the new vet see how, if at all, her values have change as the condition progressed. Additionally, I find it odd that you never got to see your cat's test results, or have the vet explain them at all.

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Additionally, I find it odd that you never got to see your cat's test results, or have the vet explain them at all.
We found it odd, too. And we've struggled with getting them to discuss or explain the results in detail. We're obviously learning that this vet isn't very good and really don't want to go back to them.

We're taking the cat back to one of the vets today (trying to get in with the "better" vet but they've been quite busy) so will update.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Best of luck! Here's hoping this next vet has the experience and is able to provide the care your kitty deserves!

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got back from the vet (had to go to our least preferred one since they were the only one with an opening today). Vet examined Cookie for respiratory issues but says she was unable to find any. Vet administered a B12 shot and an anti-nausea shot of some sort. Vet basically sent us off said, "Wait and see."

Brought Cat came home and she immediately ate a bowl of kibble. Still uninterested in wet food though. Still stumped for why this is happening. Never seen a cat prefer kibble over any wet food we put in front of her.

Getting the feeling that her sudden appetite is temporary and once the benefits of the B12 shot wear off we'll be right back where we started.

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Correction to my last update: vet did NOT check for respiratory issues. But said the issue COULD be caused by a viral infection of some sort that's messing with her sense of smell and taste, but doesn't want to medicate against it right now as the meds could suppress her immune system.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just got back from the vet (had to go to our least preferred one since they were the only one with an opening today). Vet examined Cookie for respiratory issues but says she was unable to find any. Vet administered a B12 shot and an anti-nausea shot of some sort. Vet basically sent us off said, "Wait and see."

Some vets just give band-aid treatments instead of figuring out what is wrong :rolleyes: When you go back to the preferred vet, ask the vet to consult with a veterinary school or another vet hospital for ideas on your cat's issues. Vet schools offer courtesy consults to vets. I know
the well respected vet hospital I take my cats to offers the same. You can PM me for that info.

Prescribed maropitant citrate tablets for anti-nausea because this vet suggested that she might be nauseous which could be suppressing her appetite.

Results: Cookie hated the pills. Started drooling after we gave them to her. Appetite got worse.
Cerenia is usually pretty easy to give. I use a bacon flavored pill dough. Try these pilling tips the next time you have to medicate:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some vets just give band-aid treatments instead of figuring out what is wrong :rolleyes: When you go back to the preferred vet, ask the vet to consult with a veterinary school or another vet hospital for ideas on your cat's issues. Vet schools offer courtesy consults to vets. I know
the well respected vet hospital I take my cats to offers the same. You can PM me for that info.
Yeah this vet is pretty bad. But we're in a bind because COVID has jammed up all of the area vets' appointments. There's an even better vet we'd like to try about an hour out but they're book solid for a month!

I'd much rather just go to a better vet instead of going to this one and telling her to go consult with a veterinary school.

Cerenia is usually pretty easy to give. I use a bacon flavored pill dough. Try these pilling tips the next time you have to medicate:
Isn't cerenia more for vomiting issues? Cookie hasn't been vomiting at all. I don't think nausea is her problem, here. She still comes running to the kitchen when I open a can of cat food or open her kibble bin, checks out her food bowl when I set it down, then walks off. It's like she wants to eat but something is making the food unpalatable.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cerenia is mostly anti-nausea and can help with vomiting. Licking the lips is one sign of nausea.

Has an appetite stimulant been tried?

Have you tried toppers to make food more appealing? FortiFlora is pretty irresistible.

SecretAbalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cerenia is mostly anti-nausea and can help with vomiting. Licking the lips is one sign of nausea.

Has an appetite stimulant been tried?

Have you tried toppers to make food more appealing? FortiFlora is pretty irresistible.
No licking of the lips (at least no more than usual). Haven't tried appetite stimulants- which ones are out there?

Haven't done fortiflora yet. Could try it, but at this point I'm more focused on finding the actual root cause of her problems. Can't keep injecting things into her and dusting her food with additives.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mirtazapine is the most commonly prescribed but there are others.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Correction to my last update: vet did NOT check for respiratory issues. But said the issue COULD be caused by a viral infection of some sort that's messing with her sense of smell and taste, but doesn't want to medicate against it right now as the meds could suppress her immune system.
I think your vet could be right...it could be viral. Ask them if they could do a PCR test. I wish my vet would have. 😪 My vet chose to medicate and sadly it DID suppress her immune system.
RealPCR Tests | IDEXX Reference Laboratories - IDEXX US

Edit: Just wanted to add, ask your preferred vet.

Last edited:

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't cerenia more for vomiting issues? Cookie hasn't been vomiting at all. I don't think nausea is her problem, here. She still comes running to the kitchen when I open a can of cat food or open her kibble bin, checks out her food bowl when I set it down, then walks off. It's like she wants to eat but something is making the food unpalatable.
This actually sounds alot like nausea ...

My Pitter's been having gut problems and we've been hanging out in Feline Pancreatitis and Feline IBD groups on fb.

This is what he (and 100s of others) do when they're nauseous. They feel hungry cuz they haven't eaten but they're also feeling queasy. When they're actually in front of their dish, or when they actually taste some, it makes the queasiness even worse. They can't go thru with it and walk away.

Pitter gets Famotidine/Pepcid 2x a day for it, cuz among other things, he's got acid reflux. (I do as well and when the nausea hits, it stops me in my tracks. No way could I eat!)

Couldn't hurt to try and see. It's OTC.
I'd usually add Talk to your vet! but it kinda sounds like that may not be possible??

Any way, the usual dose is 2.5 mg, 2x a day - a quarter of a 10mg tablet.
(Unless you're a big boi like Pitter, who's pushing 20# and takes 5mg)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah this vet is pretty bad. But we're in a bind because COVID has jammed up all of the area vets' appointments. There's an even better vet we'd like to try about an hour out but they're book solid for a month!

I'd much rather just go to a better vet instead of going to this one and telling her to go consult with a veterinary school.

Running to the food bowl and then turning away after a sniff or a few bites is a classic cat nausea sign! I’d second the suggestion to find a new vet and ask for your cat’s files from the old ones to bring with you to show the new vet. There’s obviously something underlying going on.
If a new vet isn’t an option, give your current vet a call and tell them your cat hasn’t gotten better and you’re concerned about it. Then you can see what to do next.

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl