Persian Cat on a flight in the cabin?

toiletduck544

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I am moving next year and am a bit worry taking my 2.5 year Persian on a 5 hours flight. (I’m the cabin with me) We are moving from Portugal to Norway so the only other alternative is an almost two days car trip. A lot of people have different opinions and some even say that might be fatal for her to fly even in the cabin with me because she can go on respiratory distress.
Do you have any experience or insight? Thanks so much for your help! I attached a picture of her so you guys can see how short her little nose is. Thanks! 🙏

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What a cute little face! I agree that you need to ask your vet if there is any danger to her in being in the cabin. I have flown puppies, but never a cat, so can't speak from first hand experience nor about a breed like a Persian.

I am sure that you know about flight regulations and pre arrangements with the airlines. In the US, but maybe not Europe, she would need a medical clearance to board the plane and the airline would need prior notification. She would also be removed from the carrier before boarding so that it could be inspected.

Airlines That Allow Snub-nosed Dogs and Cats: How to Fly With a Pug, French Bulldog, Persian Cat, or Other Brachycephalic Breeds [2023] - Pets Around the World
Traveling with Snub-Nosed Dogs or Cats | Pet Travel Blog - Resource for Transporting Pets
Airlines and Flat Faced Dogs or Cats

When I googled "air travel and short nosed cats/dogs" there were a number of sites. Caution was urged, cargo transportation was not encouraged as safe at all, but cabin was discussed as probably safe. Interesting that a number of airlines will not accept Frenchies, Bostons, or Pugs under any circumstance. Not your problem, but it does make me think that getting all of this first hand from your vet is the best way to approach it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toiletduck544

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cute little face! I agree that you need to ask your vet if there is any danger to her in being in the cabin. I have flown puppies, but never a cat, so can't speak from first hand experience nor about a breed like a Persian.

I am sure that you know about flight regulations and pre arrangements with the airlines. In the US, but maybe not Europe, she would need a medical clearance to board the plane and the airline would need prior notification. She would also be removed from the carrier before boarding so that it could be inspected.

Airlines That Allow Snub-nosed Dogs and Cats: How to Fly With a Pug, French Bulldog, Persian Cat, or Other Brachycephalic Breeds [2023] - Pets Around the World
Traveling with Snub-Nosed Dogs or Cats | Pet Travel Blog - Resource for Transporting Pets
Airlines and Flat Faced Dogs or Cats

When I googled "air travel and short nosed cats/dogs" there were a number of sites. Caution was urged, cargo transportation was not encouraged as safe at all, but cabin was discussed as probably safe. Interesting that a number of airlines will not accept Frenchies, Bostons, or Pugs under any circumstance. Not your problem, but it does make me think that getting all of this first hand from your vet is the best way to approach it.
Hi! Thank you so much for the feedback and info.
For sure! I already started arranging her kitty passport. Already talked to her vet about it but she wasn’t very helpful. The vet said there’s always a risk when flying with cats as they can get stressed out but that she doesn’t think the risk would much higher if she’s a Persian. I will get other opinions with other vets though. Thanks again! 🙏

ShirleyThomson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same kind of Persians, white and blue eyes, see the picture. :happycat:
Usually, from my experience your vet can prescribe a light sedative, so your Persian cat will feel sleepy and won't be stress by the travelling and noise around. It works very well ✈
persian-cat.jpg