Persian Cat Feeding Guide?

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! My Persian cat just turned 6 months old and I’m a little confused when it comes to her feeding. Prior to her turning 6 months I’ve been giving her 1/3 cup of Royal Canin food three times a day but was told that now that she’s 6 months, I have to give her more food and only twice a day. Is that statement true? I was advised to give her 3/4 cup twice a day. Is that too much? The reason I’m asking is I’ve tried giving her that amount and so far she doesn’t finish it all. And usually she drops most of it on the side so I just pick that back up and put it in her bowl. Any recommendations or anything? Would love to know if I’m doing this right. Thanks!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give her that much dry food. That will probably lead to urinary problems. Can you give her some canned food every day? My cats eat a little less than a cup of food per day each, half wet and half dry.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched my kitten to 3 meals a day at 6 months. All my cats eat 3 meals a day (breakfast, dinner and before-bed). Two meals is all right if that works better for your schedule. At 6 months her stomach should be big enough to get enough food with fewer servings.

She should still eat all the food she wants through one year old. After that you can measure her calorie intake to keep her at a healthy weight.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@posiepurrs might have suggestions on how much to feed and if there is something better than Royal Canin for Persians.

Generally, if a cat doesn't finish food, then it's probably too much and you should reduce the amount of food next time to avoid spoiling and waste.

If you can, include canned food in your cat's diet. Dry foods are super high in calories which leads to obesity and it can lead to urinary issues and possibly other health conditions later in life. Most of the Royal Canin dry foods are in the 300 to 500 calorie per cup range, way too much for cats http://www.franklinanimalclinic.vet/sites/site-2382/documents/Cat_Dry_Food1.pdf Canned foods are lower in calories and helps prevent urinary issues.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also think you need to include at least some wet food in your kitten’s diet (if you can). In my opinion most (although not all) dry food is full of carbohydrates (which cats don’t need). Cats do best on a high protein,moderate fat and low carbohydrate diet. Dry food is also missing a very important ingredient that’s essential to an animal with an innately low thirst drive:water. I feed my two British shorthair cats all wet food and they are thriving on that diet.