Perfect Portions Trend....

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my cats love Nutro soft loaf...and I saw Nutro perfect portions as I was browsing online. Each half of the package is only 1.2 or 1.3 ounces of food......how is this a good thing? Do most cats eat that small of an amount in one sitting? My 4 month old and 7 month old each eat 3oz of food at one sitting normally. The entire perfect portion package is less than 3oz. Maybe my cats eat more than the average cat?? Even my previous guy used to eat 1/3 of a 13 oz can twice a day (and he was a perfect weight). It seems these perfect portions are less food for more money.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the trend is mainly marketed towards people who still feed only dry food and canned / pouch / moist food is considered a treat :rolleyes: It is less food for more money and not worth buying if you are feeding mostly or only canned food. An occasional splurge on one is ok. To get the most of your money, stick with cans and buy in bulk when possible.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the size is convenient. I have only one cat (and she's a pretty small cat), and tend to break her daily allotment of food into fairly small portions, so a single "perfect portion" might be one meal of three that she gets that day. I also sometimes will give her one as a snack if she's still acting really hungry later at night.

But it's true that it's more money for less food, so I usually only keep a few around. Buying in bulk only goes so far when you've got just one mouth to feed (I don't usually buy anything bigger than a 5.5 oz can). Still, if they sold Sheba in regular size cans near where I live, I'd rather buy those.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works with Yue. She's a snarf and barf when my bf puts too much of the 5 oz can in her feeder.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just made a thread about this a little while ago! It annoys me too!

I refuse to do it with the Nutro or Sheba pate because there are other options that come in cans but I do feed the Nutro Cuts in Gravy and that comes in the trays. It's a pain but has the best ingredients of any gravy food I have found so far.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use them sometimes. I have one cat that likes wet best, he will eat a 3 oz can for breakfast, but the rest of the day he likes to nibble a bit hear and there. so i give him a few of the perfect portions type trays, usually one of the sheba ones as he likes those best of all of the ones i have tried. works for him. The other cats eat a whole can at once and then nibble some dry throughout the day. For nibblers they can come in handy.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is less food for more money. Plus wasteful packaging. My kitten is 6.5 months old and won't eat a whole 3oz can in one sitting though. If I know I will be around to put leftovers in the fridge for later I use cans, but when we take weekend trips I use the perfect portions, since I can't refridgerate.

Oh, she does eat some dry food as well, since she's more of a nibbler, but I plan to just give her wet food at regular times once she's a year old.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grrrr. Wouldn't you know it, Sheba was on a sensational sale at my local pet store. Picked up a few. The girls loved it. Bought some more. Now I have many tiny packages to open. Sighs....:gaah:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made a thread about this a little while ago! It annoys me too!

I refuse to do it with the Nutro or Sheba pate because there are other options that come in cans but I do feed the Nutro Cuts in Gravy and that comes in the trays. It's a pain but has the best ingredients of any gravy food I have found so far.
Yes the Nutro Cuts in Gravy. ...Chicken & Turkey flavor..my boy likes..but trying to figure the whole portion deal..cause i have a big boy...n hes 11 n just started him on the Nutro..n he loves it n its healthy n healthy ingredients...n he done got really picky about his food since hes gotten older..but Since hes been on the Nutro..he loves it..just trying to adjust his portions..cause like I said hes a big boy...

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
i use them sometimes. I have one cat that likes wet best, he will eat a 3 oz can for breakfast, but the rest of the day he likes to nibble a bit hear and there. so i give him a few of the perfect portions type trays, usually one of the sheba ones as he likes those best of all of the ones i have tried. works for him. The other cats eat a whole can at once and then nibble some dry throughout the day. For nibblers they can come in handy.
Sounds just like my boy...

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late but even when she was a street cat Hima barely ever ate 80-85 grams of wet food at one sitting. She always goes for 40 grams at most. This is better for their digestion too, to eat smaller meals throughout the day than 2-3 big ones. I mentioned it to the vet and she said that's how they are supposed to eat.

I would love an environment-friendly smaller package because right now I keep taking the second half of the cans into the fridge and then have to wait for it to warm up.