Pepcid Transdermal

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried and have any luck with Pepcid Transdermal? I have a feeling I know the answer but gosh I hate to start pilling our Molly. So far she turns her nose at pill pockets and she won’t eat any kind of wet food to hide meds in. She has Transdermal Cerenia and it seemed to work for her pancreatitis flare at first but she is back to vomiting foam once each morning so definitely has some kind of acidity going on. Pepcid is so cheap in pill form but if I have to go to injections I will. I don’t want to lose any bond with her if pilling traumatizes her.
She is 13.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried other flavored pill doughs that might be more appealing? Pill Pocket is not the only brand. Chewy has several brands: pill wrap - Free shipping | Chewy Amazon does as well. The product is some variation of "pill dough" or "pill wrap" or "pill treats" or something.

Famotidine can be compounded as a liquid, a flavored chew treat, oral paste, and capsule as well. The capsule you can pull open and sprinkle the contents into canned food or moist treat with toppers added.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and tips. Hit a fussy one here . I thought since she loves the Greenies hard chicken flavored treats that the Greenies chicken pill pockets would have the same smell and flavor . I have tried the churu sticks ( pudding consistency that cats just LOVE cough cough) .. not Molly Lemon!!! 😂

Our compound place does have the transdermal .. may be worth a try but haven’t heard anything positive on its effectiveness by real people.
We will discuss the other options you mentioned .. thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am using a bacon flavored pill masker for some of Feeby's meds - not the same brand as denoted in the above link, but pretty sure it is the same thing. I recently found out that I can get Feeby to take a small pill in the Greenie's pill pockets, however I don't just give her one with the pill, I give her at least two more to avoid any 'suspicion' just one might cause. I also add some other treats she likes with them so that the pill pockets are not the only thing I am feeding her.

I did try a compounded famotidine, and that was a BIG no from Feeby - it didn't matter what I tried to mix it with.

Btw, the pill masker is working well for some of Feeby's meds that are powder. I 'melt' the pill masker in some water in the microwave so that I end up with a gooey slurry and then mix the meds with it - so, far she really seems to like it.

You could also consider asking your vet about a Proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as omeprazole, it suppresses acid production vs. things like famotidine which are Histamine type-2 receptor antagonists (H2RAs), which do nearly the same thing but seem to lose their effectiveness quicker.

Lastly, I have heard Cerenia can lose its effectiveness over time. And, with any transdermal your cat's ears need to be cleaned between applications as most of these meds leave a residue that can impede later doses' absorption levels.

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: mnm

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a bacon flavored pill dough, too, for my cat's pills. He gobbles it down with no issue. I can't use Pill Pockets because they contain chicken, even the fish flavored one, and my cat has a sensitivity to chicken. I've tried a few other brands but they were so dry that I couldn't form the crumbs around pills. FYI the same company makes the Tomlyn brand of pill doughs and Vetoquinol pill doughs. Same exact ingredients in the products, one of the brands costs more than the other (Tomlyn is the cheaper one). I emailed both Tomlyn and Vetoquinol for more info on an ingredient in their products and got the exact same response from the same employee (it was a unique name).

Wedgewood Pharmacy has lots of options for compounding famotidine: Famotidine Medication & Information for Animals

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you ladies! Last night we tried a little bit of wet food with the pill crushed and were pleasantly shocked she ate it! She hasn’t touched wet food in 5 years! Not gonna toot the horn too loud but hey… hope!!