People With Two Cats, How Do You Keep Them From Eating Each Other's Food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used to free feed (Adult cats) and there was an uproar when we stopped, but with 24 weeks and 14 weeks I doubt they're used to the all you can eat buffet enough to cause an issue :)
If it makes you feel better, offer food a LOT, just small meals. If you're feeding 4 meals now and would feel better offering 5 or even 6 (or 4-5 plus a bedtime snack, etc.) I say go for it.
The little girl might not be eating well because she might be grazing, I would want her to gain weight as well! But it will be much easier to know exactly HOW much she's eating if dry food isn't available overnight with two cats; you won't be sure exactly whom is eating what and how much, etc.
(I think back to free feeding and yeah, it was WAY easier, but now I know *immediately* if someone turns away from their food and can take action, and I know whom is eating how much, etc.)
Good luck! It must be so fun having two kittens at once!
<---a little jealous :biggrin:
Okay thanks for the info!

Here is Lilo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XiRyYxQa4bVcCeRG3

Here is Sawyer:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xuj6t20xSVbFMHqJ3

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a yellow boy with lynx points. I love them.
I only have two with those points and I find them so charming and cool.
Yeah I need a life :D

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All cats I've ever raised would rather steal each others food than eat their own...even if its same exact thing! Its just their nature to want others food. It tastes better somehow...I also used to leave food out and its a no no health wise, and causes lots of health issues. Cats are designed to go at least 12 hrs without food as adults. If not, it throws off their body PH and then they get blocked urethra, stones which may need surgery to remove and are bloody and painful. When my 3 beg and cry for food during off hours I say to them I do this cause I love you sooo much:) many say to fast for 24 hrs every week but mine would probably revolt and cry me into submission for those 24 hrs:(

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats I've ever raised would rather steal each others food than eat their own...even if its same exact thing! Its just their nature to want others food. It tastes better somehow...I also used to leave food out and its a no no health wise, and causes lots of health issues. Cats are designed to go at least 12 hrs without food as adults. If not, it throws off their body PH and then they get blocked urethra, stones which may need surgery to remove and are bloody and painful. When my 3 beg and cry for food during off hours I say to them I do this cause I love you sooo much:) many say to fast for 24 hrs every week but mine would probably revolt and cry me into submission for those 24 hrs:(
Haha, I get that stealing thing!!
We feed a raw diet but feed mostly grinds to the cats because we have two naughty boys. All the cats get the same meals on the same days, but when we set the bowls down those two boys will gaze at their food for about 2.3 seconds and then immediately zero in on their neighbors food (the same stuff) and head butt everyone else out of the way. I once watched one of these boys stare in awe at his housemate eating, then take his paw and smash her head into the food; she pulled back in disgust and he darted in for a mouth full. I don't know whether this is really bad or really funny.

I don't fast my cats for 24 hours. I've read information stating that this is beneficial for healthy cats, but I just don't. My dogs are occasionally given a 24-48 hour fast depending on size, health, age, etc. (small dogs, elderly dogs, very young dogs and dogs with health issues aren't fasted; larger dogs in their prime without health issues sometimes have a "bone fast"; lots of water, bone broth, and recreational bones for chewing only, not ingestion, happens for a day or so as a clean out.)

The longest I have fasted my cats is 18 hours IIRC, and that was only during a time where both separate colonies developed a communicable stomach flu type virus. Everyone had it, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (the puke, dear God the puke!) A fast of water for 12 hours with bone broth offered every 2-3 hours followed by plain, boiled chicken in small meals (every 4-6 hours) for a few days was of a great help.

We thaw and portion meals every few days, and everyone gets a special treat in the form of a hand out during those portion days. When we bring in milk, the cats are begging for a tablespoon of raw cream, and all but one is OK'ed (IBD boy is unable to handle dairy; he gets a hand out of some other kind, usually a portion of tripe or a few chicken hearts).

Our daily routine is weird. It revolves around begging cats and dogs, LOL =)

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Haha, I get that stealing thing!!
We feed a raw diet but feed mostly grinds to the cats because we have two naughty boys. All the cats get the same meals on the same days, but when we set the bowls down those two boys will gaze at their food for about 2.3 seconds and then immediately zero in on their neighbors food (the same stuff) and head butt everyone else out of the way. I once watched one of these boys stare in awe at his housemate eating, then take his paw and smash her head into the food; she pulled back in disgust and he darted in for a mouth full. I don't know whether this is really bad or really funny.

I don't fast my cats for 24 hours. I've read information stating that this is beneficial for healthy cats, but I just don't. My dogs are occasionally given a 24-48 hour fast depending on size, health, age, etc. (small dogs, elderly dogs, very young dogs and dogs with health issues aren't fasted; larger dogs in their prime without health issues sometimes have a "bone fast"; lots of water, bone broth, and recreational bones for chewing only, not ingestion, happens for a day or so as a clean out.)

The longest I have fasted my cats is 18 hours IIRC, and that was only during a time where both separate colonies developed a communicable stomach flu type virus. Everyone had it, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (the puke, dear God the puke!) A fast of water for 12 hours with bone broth offered every 2-3 hours followed by plain, boiled chicken in small meals (every 4-6 hours) for a few days was of a great help.

We thaw and portion meals every few days, and everyone gets a special treat in the form of a hand out during those portion days. When we bring in milk, the cats are begging for a tablespoon of raw cream, and all but one is OK'ed (IBD boy is unable to handle dairy; he gets a hand out of some other kind, usually a portion of tripe or a few chicken hearts).

Our daily routine is weird. It revolves around begging cats and dogs, LOL =)
Wait why do you fast your cats?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't, I just fast the dogs occasionally =) I only fasted the cats during a stomach flu thing from normal dinner time (about 6:00PM) and delayed breakfast until noonish the next day to give their tummies a rest.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i feed my cats separately twice a day, certain meal times. that way i know what they eat. the kittens would eat everything i gave them, and then just throw up, i have to monitor them. beside for the two bigger meals, i usually throw in a small snack if they are acting like they are hungry. the older guys are slower, so in addition to giving them two meals at the same time as the kittens, who usually finish their food cause there is always some left, i "free feed" the older ones in the middle of the night when the kittens are downstairs. they let me know when they are hungry. one of my older cats is on meds so he needs some snacks more often.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i feed my cats separately twice a day, certain meal times. that way i know what they eat. the kittens would eat everything i gave them, and then just throw up, i have to monitor them. beside for the two bigger meals, i usually throw in a small snack if they are acting like they are hungry. the older guys are slower, so in addition to giving them two meals at the same time as the kittens, who usually finish their food cause there is always some left, i "free feed" the older ones in the middle of the night when the kittens are downstairs. they let me know when they are hungry. one of my older cats is on meds so he needs some snacks more often.
Yeah idk, my two kittens never eat that much, I always have to try and persuade them to get them to eat.