Pen pal for a 12 year old?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pe2n pal is so oldp school though. If it were me, I'd setup a machine in a public area of the house w/ parental controls, and sign him up for a strictly moderated forum for kids relevant to his interests. Online social networking is more rewarding IMO and develops useful skills for this day and age.
Did you have a pen pal? I think it's a wonderful idea. Learn to write again instead of tap tapping
The art of writing and reading books has gone into staring at a computer screen 24 hours a day.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a pen pal when I was younger.. the first one, I was set up with in elementary school and it was so cool to exchange letters with them. We'd get the letters through our teachers, and send them out that way too. I still love receiving mail, whether it's a package or a hand-written note. I received a Christmas card last year, hand written, from an online friend I'd never met before who lives in Vancouver and I'm in Ontario. We're both pet lovers, her Christmas card was of her cat. It was such a great thing to receive, and that they took the effort to hand write it themselves instead of just printing off a label makes it so much more meaningful.

The second pen pal I had was the daughter of my dad's friend. She lived in Chicago, and we'd mail back and forth. We did so for several years, and then we eventually did it less frequently, and then we stopped. I think it was something like five years ago that we actually met! My best friend in elementary school and I would write letters to each other. I had moved to the other end of the city so we didn't get to see each other very often at all, so the letters kept us going before we both got internet! Both of us admit we still love receiving post too. ;) But I work in a post office now, and prices are outrageous! I totally get being hesitant to pay like $3 to send a piece of paper to anyone who isn't on the same continent, or even $1 for someone who is!

I realize this thread is pretty old, but kids shouldn't be learning to socialize strictly online. Besides the art of actually writing and reading (and not having auto correct - writing PROPERLY), you can't hide behind anonymity and you can't just troll around. Only teaching children social networking is a huge mistake and doesn't emphasize the real life skills they'll need. I guess in 2010, kids weren't big into social networking yet, but today they're the leaders of it, teaching their parents how to use it, and not teaching them the things they do to get around being an unrecognized jerk online!

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducman69

Pen pal is so old school though. If it were me, I'd setup a machine in a public area of the house w/ parental controls, and sign him up for a strictly moderated forum for kids relevant to his interests. Online social networking is more rewarding IMO and develops useful skills for this day and age.
I am of the opposite opinion. I think it's good to try and develop our most basic of skills...writing and printing!

Techonology will always be there to help us out, but I think it's important for kids to develop printing and writing skills. And a handwritten letter is way more personal than an email.
I agree. Technology is making a generation of people who truly suck at writing and penmanship!

My BFF has a 10 year old son. Not sure if he would be interested in a penpal though.  With the exception of computer games, his attention span is small.  I'd hate for him to say yes, and then fail to follow through, disappointing your son. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your son still looking for a Pen Pal?  My friend has a 10 year old boy who said he would be interested in being a Pen Pal.  His Mom said that she would ensure that he fulfilled his letter writing.

His grand parents are from Pakistan.  His Mom was born in Canada. He was born in the US but is now living in Canada.  He's big into superheros.

PM me if your son is interested.