Peeing Outside Of Litterbox

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

One of my cats keeps peeing outside of litter box, usually somewhere in my living room, near boxes. I've done many searches and I still cannot figure out why she does, so I am curious if someone can help me?

I started fostering her about 9 months ago. She was adopted and returned after several years and when she first came to my home, I put her inside playpen due to her shyness. She was fine with litter box. After about a month, I let her out and first few weeks were fine, but after, I noticed that she started peeing outside of litter box. I first thought it was litter box (not clean or doesn't like pellet) so I changed it and clean it as often as I can, and it was resolved for awhile, but then she started peeing outside of litter box again. I put feliway but it still did not help that much. Every time, when I thought the issue is resolved, then she started peeing outside of litter box again. She has been peeing outside very inconsistently. I mean nothing has changed on my side, same house, noise level, furniture location and everything and I am not sure why she does.

I've also heard it could be medical issue, but she does not do this everyday, very inconsistently, every other day, every week, month...something I cannot really find the pattern.

Lastly, when I witnessed her peeing, the way she pee doesn't look like spraying. She actually sits down and do it. Then she basically scratches my carpet and that's when I usually noticed she peed outside of litter box. And the place she pee, it is pretty much everywhere in my living room, not specific spot and in fact, not the same spot. I usually clean up with enzyme solution as well.

Can anyone help me to track down what could be the potential reason?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many cats are in your home? Does she have contact with them? Get along with them?

It could, and probably is, behavioural, but I agree with abyeb abyeb a vet visit to rule out an UTI or something else should be the first step.