Peeing in buckets

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy has been kind of unwell this past week. She has been seen and diagnosed with a bladder infection by the vet and given a shot of convenia.

Last night I found she had been peeing in a Rubbermaid tub the pee was quite crusty and old looking. I think she must've been trying to subtlety tell me she was sick she has never peed outside the box before let alone in a storage bin.

I am kind of puzzled why she would chose an old storage bin I never look at rather than a more obvious place like the rug. Usually when cats pee outside the box you notice it. Isn't that why they do it outside the box in the first place?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is she didn't want to go in her regular litter box so looked for another box similar in size or shape to it. Did the vet say how long it would take for the convenia to kick in and when to schedule a follow-up exam? If she is showing signs of not feeling better you may want to give them a call. Is she acting normal otherwise, e.g. appetite, playful? Is she sleeping more than usual?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She got the shot last night and actually seems a bit less crabby today. She even stayed for a snuggle.

I don't think she got much sleep the past few days because she had to pee every 30 mins. Maybe she was crabby from sleep deprivation. This has gone down a bit too now she can get a few hours in without peeing. She actually slept for 6 hours straight today.

The vet said it could take 72 hours for it to fully kick in. She has stopped camping at the door to the litterbox area. But when she does go she sometimes goes in and out a few times so maybe she still has a bit of burning when peeing.

Through the whole thing her appetite has actually been excellent. It was the going in and out of the box every 30 mins that tipped me off that she was sick. That and cat mom's intuition.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She has gone 5 hours now without peeing. I think she's starting to feel better. I ended up moving the bin. Caught her trying to pee in it again.

I got thinking, is it possible for the urine smell to last for 15 years? My old senile cat might have peed on its contents before but that was at least 10 years ago could Indy still smell that?

Maybe she thinks it smells like a litterbox?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope that your kitty is improving by now. If a cat associates pain with a litter box, they will often look elsewhere to pee. My experience has been that plastic holds odors, so that might have attracted her as well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She spent Saturday sleeping. I think she was sleep deprived honestly. Sunday was very windy and she spent alot of time just watching the leaves and debris flying around at the windows. I do feel she is improving. I will continue to monitor her box though.

As for the bin, I don't know how long cat pee smell lasts but old kitty died at least 15 years ago, she was 20 years old and very senile, peed on everything so it is possible she peed in the bin. Maybe the smell lingers? I'm not sure.