Pedialyte and Pumpkin

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one 6 week old kitten with diarrhea. Already wormed. Can I mix both pumpkin and pedialyte into her food or bottle at the same time?

I believe it started with the transition to wet food plus I stupidly changed both wet and dry types to get them to eat more as they weren’t thrilled with either. I also think I overfed

moderators I apologize if this should have been in my last post from over a month ago

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding now? Are you back to the kitten food or with the adult food.

I admit, I do not have experience with kittens-- only Pumpkin, who was sick, prob FIV--which she survived.

If it were me, I would return back to the kitten food, for a good amount of time.. not rushing things, then very slowly adding some adult food to the wet. If you are feeding kitten dry, I would stick with that.. Change one thing at a time.

If you can get them used to pumpkin and pedialyte while they are young, that is great. Some older cats do not like either-- like man cats..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have always been on kitten food both wet and dry but I changed brands. I went back to the original brand.
I’ve been alternating mixing the pedialyte with the wet food with 1/2,tsp of pumpkin twice a day and they don’t notice a difference. It’s just the one with diarrhea that I would like to mix both in the wet food or bottle. I’ve stopped trying to wean off the bottle for now as I need him to have enough fluids and nutrition. He wasn’t eating enough solids….

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not all kittens are ready to wean at 6 weeks old, so good you are keeping him on the bottle. I would forego giving a tiny kitten pumpkin, and mix the powdered kitten formula with the Pedialyte instead of water for each bottle. This will give him nutrition plus the electrolytes he needs.

What color is this kitten’s diarrhea? Also, when were they wormed and which med did you use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They finished worming 5 days ago. Pyrantel and Panacur. Their poops are a medium brown.
What do you think about Fortiflora?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all kittens are ready to wean at 6 weeks old, so good you are keeping him on the bottle. I would forego giving a tiny kitten pumpkin, and mix the powdered kitten formula with the Pedialyte instead of water for each bottle. This will give him nutrition plus the electrolytes he needs.

What color is this kitten’s diarrhea? Also, when were they wormed and which med did you use?
Thank you so much for responding. I knew I paged the right person!! ❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fortiflora is excellent; however, I would only use a few grains in the bottle at this tender age.

If the probiotic doesn’t help and the diarrhea continues, you may want to speak with a vet about a round of metronidazole for this kitten.