Peaches

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Talking about fruit, I love it all. Years ago in my early marriage days we were broke most of the time. There was a pear tree in the yard where our apartment was. The landlady had told me to help myself. I was so hungry for a dessert, but broke. So I had the idea to make a pear pie. I did it just like I would have made an apple pie. Since the pears were the hard, green kind, I sliced them very thin. It made a wonderful pie, and now I still cook them. We actually prefer them to apple. Top the warm slice with vanilla ice cream of course and enjoy. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds delicious! 

I'm addicted to pretty much every fruit under the sun. I just love fruit.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm going to have to try that for DS @blueyedgirl5946!  I don't know why I never thought to use pears as a substitute!  We always go apple picking in the fall; but then poor DS doesn't get to enjoy any!  What sort of spices do you use?  I love nutmeg in apple pie; but I'm not sure about with pears?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm going to have to try that for DS @blueyedgirl5946
!  I don't know why I never thought to use pears as a substitute!  We always go apple picking in the fall; but then poor DS doesn't get to enjoy any!  What sort of spices do you use?  I love nutmeg in apple pie; but I'm not sure about with pears?
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I always use only cinnamon because I don't like the taste of nutmeg. I would advise you to spice it just as you would if you were baking apple pie for your family. Trust me, it is wonderful.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll give it a try sometime soon.  I suppose I could always make 2 pies and see which I like best too! :think:
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I took some pears to church for sharing last night. I was telling some of the folks about how I learned to do a pear pie. One person there said she had actually made a pie and used part apples and part pears. That gets me to thinking. :lol3: