Paw pad disease

Niisku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi from Finland!

I didn't find any answers in our cat forums, so I might as well ask here.

Has anyone come accross these type of paw pads that are in the pictures? My cat is a 10 year old neutered female and started growing this weird stuff on three of her paws. I just read about the pillow foot, but didn't see any pictures like our before one. So the first pic is before and second is now after the vet took the growth off, sorry bout the cat litter.

I will get the biopsy results on monday, but can't wait!

Thanks in advance!

20220112_203455.jpg
20220127_122835.jpg

nicole409516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m not sure if this will help but it’s worth a shot. :) My parents had a cat that had issues with her front paws. They noticed she didn’t seem herself and that she seemed to favor her front paws. They looked normal at first but then within a week (give or take) she didn’t return home for 2 days. She was fixed and never did that before. I found her not far from our house, laying on top of something the neighbors had that was a little higher than 5ft within a bunch of pine trees. She wouldn’t stand up or walk but just kept crying to me so I found my way back to her, picked her up & got her home. 😿 When we checked her we saw that her paws were all raw and swollen! The poor baby couldn’t walk and had to be in so much pain!! Turned out she had an autoimmune disorder. I can’t remember anything else but will ask my parents for more details tonight when I see them. I’ll check back in tomorrow and will let you know what I find out. I hope that helps a little! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Niisku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m not sure if this will help but it’s worth a shot. :) My parents had a cat that had issues with her front paws. They noticed she didn’t seem herself and that she seemed to favor her front paws. They looked normal at first but then within a week (give or take) she didn’t return home for 2 days. She was fixed and never did that before. I found her not far from our house, laying on top of something the neighbors had that was a little higher than 5ft within a bunch of pine trees. She wouldn’t stand up or walk but just kept crying to me so I found my way back to her, picked her up & got her home. 😿 When we checked her we saw that her paws were all raw and swollen! The poor baby couldn’t walk and had to be in so much pain!! Turned out she had an autoimmune disorder. I can’t remember anything else but will ask my parents for more details tonight when I see them. I’ll check back in tomorrow and will let you know what I find out. I hope that helps a little! :)
Thank's for answering! The vet also thought this is an autoimmune disease, but couldn't tell more before the biopsy results and told me that she had never seen anything like this on a cat before. :disappointed:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Even if this turns out to be something only skin deep and treatable, you are doing the right thing to get her to the vet. The first pic looks flaky, but the second one looks raw and painful. Please let us know that the biopsy shows and how it will be treated.

Niisku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Even if this turns out to be something only skin deep and treatable, you are doing the right thing to get her to the vet. The first pic looks flaky, but the second one looks raw and painful. Please let us know that the biopsy shows and how it will be treated.
I will! The vet had to take all of the growth off, so now the paw pad has no skin at all. :ohwell: Hopefully it heals fast! Its not easy to prevent a cat from licking those raw areas.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to know…did your vet send you home w/ painkillers? poor kitty!

Niisku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to know…did your vet send you home w/ painkillers? poor kitty!
Yes, antibiotics for 6 days and painkillers for 4 days, today was the first day without any painkiller. I bet that paw pad still hurts as there's no skin to protect it. Will see on monday what the vet says, she will probably get cortisone for the possible autoimmune disease. I'm just worried if its cancer or something...😥

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat also has pillow foot (not as bad as your poor kitty) and has been on doxycycline for a few weeks now. She has seen much improvement, would ask your vet to look into that treatment.

Niisku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again. The biopsy results came and she has plasma cell pododermatitis and a secondary bacterial infection. She will now take cortisone for a couple of weeks and then cyclosporine.