Patchy hair on cat’s ears

tomato78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the past week or so it seems like my cat has been losing some hair on her ears. She’s about 1.5 years old and had ringworm about a year ago that cleared up officially in November, so I’m always a bit on edge when I notice any hair loss - this doesn’t seem to be presenting like her ringworm before (no perfect circle, no crustiness) and is not glowing under a blacklight (she did glow when she had it before, I know not all ringworm does tho).
Is it normal for cats to lose hair on their ears in the summer? Is this likely allergies instead? Or is this the dreaded ringworm…. She has been scratching her ears a bit but I can’t tell if it is more than normal.
I have a vet appointment later this week but just thought I would ask some advice here as well in the mean time

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it would necessarily be considered 'normal' for the hair on a cat's ear to thin because it is summer, but it could be some sort of seasonal allergy. The thinning might be from her over scratching her ears because they are itchy - again possibly tying to an allergy of sorts. If she goes outside, that increases her odds, although even indoor only cats can have allergies tied to the seasons. Maybe the vet might recommend an antihistamine just to see if it helps.

Take pics to show progression of the hair loss to the vet and see if you can watch her about how much scratching she is actually doing.