Patch of hair missing

Christink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help!!! My cat has a huge patch of hair missing on his neck. He is completely bald in that spot and there are some scabs. He is only an indoor cat so he couldn't have gotten in a fight. Any ideas
IMG_20210522_160648179.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! The missing fur could be from a number of causes. I cannot quite tell from the photo if there is a sore in the middle or if the cat is scratching it. This can range from allergies to skin infections to something more serious. Given he is indoor only, ruling out confrontations and fights or injuries unless there is something inside he might have injured himself on. Scabs, or that look like scabs can be from various causes. Can you call your vet, send a pic or email at least, and get the cat in for a visit. It can be hard to treat when there can be so many causes. Any other very clearly distinguishing characteristics to this hair loss?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! The missing fur could be from a number of causes. I cannot quite tell from the photo if there is a sore in the middle or if the cat is scratching it. This can range from allergies to skin infections to something more serious. Given he is indoor only, ruling out confrontations and fights or injuries unless there is something inside he might have injured himself on. Scabs, or that look like scabs can be from various causes. Can you call your vet, send a pic or email at least, and get the cat in for a visit. It can be hard to treat when there can be so many causes. Any other very clearly distinguishing characteristics to this hair loss?
It honestly looks like a clump of hair has been ripped out and then he has scratched it. I have researched and I recently have been giving him wet food also so from what I read that could be it. That is the only spot though. I am trying to get to the vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet food itself doesn't cause skin issues. It's typically a sensitivity allergy to an ingredient in any commercial cat food that can trigger skin issues. Common ingredients that can cause food sensitivities / allergies are chicken, grains, gums, and fillers. What brand of canned food are you feeding and for how long? What were you feeding before? Did you just notice the bald spot recently or has it been there for awhile and has gotten worse over time? Is your cat scratching at the area?

Environmental allergies can cause skin issues in some cats. Dusty cat litter, pollen, perfumes, etc.