Passing of your cat.

Diagnous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone else here experience their cats tail getting bushey after they have passed away?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not, but I wonder if it's due to rigor mortis? When the muscles stiffen up after death, it guess it's possible that the little muscles at the hair follicles could also stiffen causing the fur to puff up.
I'm sorry about your loss...:alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have many times, and I am an RN also so know what is behind it. It is completely involuntary. It is part of the dying process to lose control of your body functions. Jem is right in saying it is the muscles at the base of the hair follicles. It does not happen with all deaths but I have seen many humans get goosebumps even after death. Because these types of reactions are mostly involuntary in response to the body shutting down, and may continue for a while even after death. I held one of my little ones as they died and their body became completely rigid immediately upon death. Like rigor mortis had already set in, which it does not, it comes later and then leaves. It is natural for you to wonder and ask what this means, grief brings on many questions and all those should have, could have. My heart goes out to you, please know your little one is at peace because they carry your love within them and always will, you both have my thoughts and prayers......RIP sweet one......