Paranoia About Cat Getting Into Dental Floss

MonkeyG2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I am the biggest worrier when it comes to my cat. I was flossing my teeth earlier and put down the floss right next to me to throw it away and it has since disappeared into thin air. I know my cat hasn’t found it yet as he was sleeping when it happened…but I’ve been looking all over and can’t seem to find it. Basically I’m paranoid that somehow he’ll find it before I do and end up eating it. Please share your thoughts. I feel insane even posting this but I figured maybe hearing from other people I’ll feel better.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am the biggest worrier when it comes to my cat. I was flossing my teeth earlier and put down the floss right next to me to throw it away and it has since disappeared into thin air. I know my cat hasn’t found it yet as he was sleeping when it happened…but I’ve been looking all over and can’t seem to find it. Basically I’m paranoid that somehow he’ll find it before I do and end up eating it. Please share your thoughts. I feel insane even posting this but I figured maybe hearing from other people I’ll feel better.
You're not insane. :) Close the bathroom door and get down on the ground (face level) and look to see if you can find it. If your bathroom counter is up against a wall, it might have managed to slip down there. Even an involuntary motion of your arm could have sent it further than you realize, so check the entire floor and behind anything that is near the sink. I hope you find it!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever I lose something I think our cat might find especially if it's small I use a flashlight. That usually helps me locate it. You might want to try doing the same. Good luck, fingers crossed you find it. :crossfingers:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are not alone. I lost a hair tie the other day and was worried the cat got it. She didn't, I found it on the floor blending in and hiding just half under the couch! Flashlights definitely help, also if you don't live alone - might someone else have popped in and thrown it out or could they help look to ease your mind? Sometimes a second pair of eyes is so helpful when you're looking for something! hope you find it.

Keep an eye on your kitty and make sure he doesn't show signs of having eaten something strange or having a blockage.

Tip for future - I worry about the dental floss, too. I do this when I have curious kitties who get into everything. Pop the used floss in a tightly-lidded plastic container to keep it away from the kitties until you can safely dispose of it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seconding the above tip about closes containers! I very much worry about floss too.

If you still can't find it with the flashlight, take a vacuum over the area.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG I feel your pain. I had a kitten pull floss out of the trash can and ingest it. Then I instituted a policy of no flossing teeth without wrapping it up in tissue. Of course the phone rings and then you realize you didn't do it and you go nuts looking for it. Do you think it stuck to your clothes? Maybe it got washed down the drain.