Panther

BubbaGumps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a Cat from a shelter last week. The cat's name was Karen but I am calling her Panther. I just wanted a friendly cat and didn't care much about the breed or sex or color etc...I had a cat in mind from browsing the shelter cat bios and photos but when I took it into the room they set aside to spend some time with the animals, it bit me pretty good. It started purring when I was holding it but then suddenly hissed and clamped down on my forearm. I then looked around the shelter and waited to see which cats would come to the front of the cage and show interest when I stopped by them. Panther came right up and meowed and was very friendly in the greeting room so I picked her out. She is pretty vocal and took to my house quickly without much drama. Very friendly and easy going.

k1.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to both of you. Such a beauty to behold, Panther is! :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat parent. :petcat: Panther is a cutie pie. :dancingblackcat:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
ddfdf3aea4505a09a8773682249eaa7f.jpg
BubbaGumps and Panther, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
71cVVYgO0IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Panther from the shelter and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life! :clapcat:
Panther is such a sweet gal! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for her in black-cats-only.268663 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to and we have 2 days left for the Photo of The Month contest here in competition-picture-of-the-month-july-2022-cats-in-the-sun.446327 and if you have a photo of Panther that fits the description, do join in!

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BubbaGumps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome, all.

This is the first time I have adopted from a shelter. It is hard to pick out an animal. They have a lot of cats looking for homes and I was just looking for a friendly companion animal. I went by my gut feeling after interacting with a few of the cats in the greeting room at the shelter. There isn't enough time to interact with them all in the meeting room so you have to go by what they recommend based on what type of personality you desire. Panther and I just seemed to hit it off right away.

Being such a friendly and good-looking cat I was surprised she didn't find a home earlier as it has been around more than the average cat there based on the intake dates. I was asking the staff questions about any potential behavioral or health issues they know about and they said they weren't aware of any. One of the volunteers told me that based on her experience, black cats on average usually take longer to find homes, all other things being equal.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard that also, that black cats take longer to be adopted out, and it worked out well for you, so Panther was waiting for you when you came looking to adopt. How old is she, do you know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BubbaGumps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard that also, that black cats take longer to be adopted out, and it worked out well for you, so Panther was waiting for you when you came looking to adopt. How old is she, do you know?
They gave me a folder with all the information, medical history, vaccinations etc..DOB is listed as 7/7/2020 so she is just over two years old.

I am not sure why animals are surrendered and I didn't ask but I think the previous owner might have had a conflict with another animal in the household as they made a point to tell me they recommend a single-pet only household for her. I suspect there was a conflict of some kind with another animal. But she is extremely friendly with people and she walked right up to visitors and friends I have had over, sat in their lap etc...

I have had dogs in the past as well as cats but just want a single animal so that is good for me and good for her. It's a good fit.

As far as what people look for in a cat when they go in to adopt, I guess that varies from person to person. But the staffer did tell me that black cats take more time to find homes. My guess if its mainly because people do window-browsing online and look at the photos and go in with particular cats in mind. This applies to me as well as I had a specific cat in mind based on a photo. It was an orange tabby named 'Garfield' and the description sounded nice and the cat looked very nice in the photos.

But as mentioned, I got bit pretty good in the meeting room when I picked it up.. I think I probably just touched it the wrong way or it was in a bad mood and was a little timid. It was purring and would react well to my petting it, scratching its ears etc..but then when I picked it up it either got scared or angry. I decided, 'This isn't the cat for me' then was going to ask about other cats I had on my list based on photos. Instead I just walked around the cages and eventually came across Panther. She she wasn't on my list based on the online browsing but she was the most friendly when I walked.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DOB is listed as 7/7/2020 so she is just over two years old.
She looks almost kitten-like in the picture you posted, so I'm surprised she's 2 years old. That's a good age to adopt, though, as they're out of crazy kitten mode, but still young enough to have lots of energy.