Panleukopenia help! Feedback on diagnosis please

Status
Not open for further replies.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, been reading for hours and hours straight now.

Ok, background - FIV positive, seven year old female, fully vaccinated and fixed. Caught her in March and was pregnant, had liver failure, lost kittens, barely survived herself, rebounded great. Was in isolation from March to June, then she was let out with my other cats (she is very cat friendly, but does not allow humans to touch her). She has access to a lot of the house, but she stays in a bedroom almost all of the time by choice. It is a mutli-cat household.

Saturday, notice spots of diarrhea on the floor, Sunday confirmed it was her because she was going a lot and everywhere, not controlling it. Took to vet Monday, CBC, chem analysis, fecal check all normal, attention turned to GI issue, got some fluids, ivomec, some GI food. She was eating up through Sunday, Monday and Tuesday was not, back to vet on Wednesday and she got hospitalized. Thursday vet said tested positive for the Panleauk.

She has been alert, not lethargic but low on energy, not hiding, is drinking water but not eating. Diarrhea but not throwing up, diarrhea is clear with a brown tint, very light brown and smell difficult to describe, but smells like say some old wet cat food left out or something, no the "poo" smell, if the description helps.

I am not challenging the diagnosis, just trying to understand; the CBC was normal on Monday, she has not vomitted, she drinks water though of course that could have stopped if I not taken action. She is vaccinated but of course immune compromised due to FIV and maybe the liver failure earlier. So question is; anything unusual with the diagnosis?

I also have two kittens not vaccinated, actually due tomorrow to get it done, they were exposed to this. I have gotten advice on what to do, but any more advice? I am not even sleeping, watching them, my wife is staying up watching them, and I read even getting vaccinated, if exposed before, still may not help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UM...maybe? There can be false positives. AND the incubation time is 3-5 days generally, NEVER longer than a week. Is there anywhere she might have been exposed to it during that time? I just really think, as contagious as panleukpenia is in cats, and as long as she has been sick, the kittens would be sick by now. I'm sorry I couldn't give you something more definite, but I'm surely puzzled!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UM...maybe? There can be false positives. AND the incubation time is 3-5 days generally, NEVER longer than a week. Is there anywhere she might have been exposed to it during that time? I just really think, as contagious as panleukpenia is in cats, and as long as she has been sick, the kittens would be sick by now. I'm sorry I couldn't give you something more definite, but I'm surely puzzled!
Hi, I am 100% baffled of how she could be exposed to it, the only way would be something like I tracked it into the home, another cat then walked through it and tracked it, then she tracked through that, but the scenario just seems though can technically happen, seems highly improbable.

I feed one colony, but they are all vaccinated, I do not touch them and basically leave food in bowls, they eat, I pick the bowls up, then leave dry food, change water, go home. The bowls are straight to the dishwasher, my shoes off at the door, hands wash, etc.

To add, she stays in one room by choice 99% of the time, she has free roam of the house, but she likes the cat room which is a spare bedroom. She is not a cat a person can touch, she will swat you, but very friendly with other cats and will not attack or anything, not aggressive.

While some things do make sense with the diagnosis, others do not, or more accurately, not understanding them enough to make the connection.

I will be at the vet today and going to ask more.

Cannot even say if the new kittens brought it in, I would think they would have been sick, they were quarantined for a bit also while dealing with their mange, so it was not like they were running around right away,

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering any thoughts like if it could be salmonella poisoning or something? How is that versus the Panleuk?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe that some of the tests used to ID panleukopenia can reflect a positive result on a more recently vaccinated cat. I would ask your vet what test was used and if this is a possibility. I wasn't sure if she had been vaccinated a long time ago or just recently since apparently she was spayed recently.

As far as the kittens, from what I know, they should still be vaccinated even if the exposure is confirmed as 'real'. I don't know how old they are - but if not very old, they may still have maternal antibodies that are helping to keep them from getting infected.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe that some of the tests used to ID panleukopenia can reflect a positive result on a more recently vaccinated cat. I would ask your vet what test was used and if this is a possibility. I wasn't sure if she had been vaccinated a long time ago or just recently since apparently she was spayed recently.

As far as the kittens, from what I know, they should still be vaccinated even if the exposure is confirmed as 'real'. I don't know how old they are - but if not very old, they may still have maternal antibodies that are helping to keep them from getting infected.
Yes, will ask what test was used, I been reading the fecal snap elisa test is very accurate.

She was vaccinated in March.

The kittens were getting vaccinated anyway, I vaccinate everyone, it just this happened in the middle of it all before my appointment came, and was dealing with their mange which has been resolved.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - the parvo elisa snap fecal test was used, so it was the accurate one. The kittens, one is 2.3lbs, one is 4.1lbs, so whatever age that suppose to be. They got vaccinated today. Next week, taking some of the older cats to get boosters. I have also an older kitten, already vaccinated, but going to ask if he needs a booster. Everyone else is within 3 years they got vaccinated.

Cleaned a lot, got that Rescue wipes, waiting for the concentrate stuff to get here to start of the bedroom where she lived most of the time. I have tiles floor, so sprayed bleach solution last night, then hit is with the Rescue wipes.

As for her, stabilized is all, she is alert, drinks water, ate a little, still has an IV in her, alert, saw her today. I am monitoring the kittens 24/7, wife and I taking shifts staying away and watching. Absolute nervous wreck.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have two kittens not vaccinated, actually due tomorrow to get it done, they were exposed to this.
I just really think, as contagious as panleukpenia is in cats, and as long as she has been sick, the kittens would be sick by now.
Just did some reading from Wikipedia: Carnivore protoparvovirus 1 - Wikipedia

From what I read:
The feline panleukopenia virus is considered ubiquitous, meaning it is in virtually every place that is not regularly disinfected.
I assume this to mean that the virus lives virtually everywhere in the environment and that cats can just catch the virus from wherever they happen to be.

Maternally-derived antibodies efficiently protect kittens from fatal infection. This passively acquired immunity is later replaced by an active immune response obtained by vaccination or as a consequence of a natural infection. In kittens, the period of greatest susceptibility to infection is when maternal antibodies are absent, or waning, and vaccine-induced immunity has not yet fully developed.
This, I take to mean that if the mother cat has antibodies/immunity from the virus, she will pass them to the kittens through her milk.

If the mother has antibodies and the kittens feed from their mother soon after birth they will be protected until they can be vaccinated. This is why you'll hear people say that kittens NEED to drink their mother's milk, first thing, when they are born.

I know that you are worried. Understandably so. Especially because you have an immune-compromised cat.

I think you are doing everything right. Keep the house scrupulously clean and disinfected as much as reasonably possible. Get your kittens vaccinated ASAP and, if you have other cats, get them vaccinated or give them booster shots.

I read even getting vaccinated, if exposed before, still may not help.
I'm not sure. Maybe. But consider what it said on Wikipedia. The period of greatest susceptibility is when vaccine-induced immunity has not fully developed. What I think Wikipedia is saying is that, when a cat gets the shot, it takes time for the vaccine to kick in. If the cat is sick before getting the vaccine, it won't do much to stop the disease.

Consider this...We're in the middle of a coronavirus pandemic. People should already be keeping the house clean. If so, you've got a point in your favor. Right? If you've already got one cat with an immune deficiency, it only stands to reason that this whole thing happened because she was already sick from something else. You're already giving your due diligence. You should already have your bases covered. Even though you might not be out of the woods, yet, things should turn out as well as can be.

Thoughts and prayers be with you! :vibes:

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With panleukopenia, "stable" is something of a triumph. Lighting a candle for her...AND you and your wife and the other cats!

00LitCandle.jpeg

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - She is back home. She is eating and drinking, but unkept looking, though in good spirits.

She went back into the room where she normally hangs out, it was disinfected but of course will need to do it again. She is in strict quarantine, only I am doing anything with her, my wife caring for all the other cats, especially the mom and her two kittens that we caught, I do not touch anything to do with them, they are in a cage right now.

So now it is just wait, quarantine will be two weeks minimum.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update - She had to go back and be hospitalized the next day. She just got worse throughout the night, so took her in the morning. She was alert and all, but did not move for hours, and did not eat nor drink after she initially did when she first got home. She did go to the litter box one time, right after she got home, rest of the time she just went where she was laying, but the diarrhea seems to have went away, there was solid now, but she just went where she was laying, then got up and moved and slept some more.

I went to the vet the following day after she went back, she is up and eating and drinking, a lot, so hope she just needed a little more medical intervention to get over that bump into being able to do these things on her own.

She is still there, will be to Monday at the minimum, the vet wanted her on a specific diet, but said we probably have to settle on what she will eat for now, and add the Rebound stuff if she is not wanting to eat. She really likes that Recovery food, so that as well. I am sure the FIV is a wrench in this whole recovery.

I cannot believe how thin she got, and her fur is a mess, very dry, stiff, poor girl.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update, unfortunately, she passed away. I guess her body could not take the two weeks of being sick, plus her FIV played a role. I did everything possible could think of to help her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. RIP little girl. She fought hard with your wonderful help and care. But, now, no more sickness will befall her ever again.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Girl, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry. I had begun to hope that she just might beat the odds.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry F flcat It sounds like you did everything you could for her. I'm glad she was lucky enough to enjoy a comfortable home with you, even if it was only for a short while.

We always lock the threads when a cat passes, so I'll lock this one now. When you feel ready it might help to start a thread in her memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace little girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.