Panleuk recovery symptoms

ambermae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I decided to make this account because I always have 100 questions about my kittens and never know who to ask. At the beginning of this month, both my kittens had panleuk and were not given good odds of survival by the vet. However, they both seemed to pull through pretty fine. They were back to playing and eating again. One thing I have noticed in my Fae is that her meows and purrs sound differently. Also within the last couple of days I’ve noticed her breathing sounds weird as if she’s growling. It isn’t all the time but it’s enough to make me worry. I have also noticed their fur still looks dull and feels rough even though I constantly see them grooming. Trixi, my other baby, has also been eating less and only wants treats. I’m not sure if that is concerning or she is just being picky lol. Anyway, any tips would surely be appreciated!

I do plan on taking them back to the vet ASAP but I have a very low income and still trying to pay off their ER ball and simultaneously keep a roof over our heads and food on our plates. Just for the meantime until I get the funds to take them back, I will take any advice I can get.

Thank you so much in advance!
(I have attached some photos of them from yesterday just so you can see them) 🥰

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You, and them, are so very lucky. we had distemper go through our outdoor cats a few years ago and lost over 3/4 of them. My inside cats were fine, they were vaccinated. Your cats were very young and that is the most at risk age group. The three cats I have now are survivors of that time and have long lasting aftereffects. They also got leukemia at least three years ago. The best thing you can do for your cats to avoid all these horrible diseases is to keep them strictly inside and only let them out in an enclosed area, and to vaccinate. Leukemia and FIV are real risks too for outdoor cats.
My cats have side effects of the distemper, one has scarred lungs and is receiving sinus and lung supplements, he is the worst. so breathing problems are a real problem. Hopefully your little one will fully recover. I give all of them DMG which is online at Pet Sites, Walmart, and Amazon to keep their immune systems up. I believe it has really helped because before they were getting deathly sick a lot. and haven't in three years. You may want to look at some lung care supplements too.
Since your little ones have recovered, thanks to your and the vet's care, they will not get distemper again, thank goodness. Most cats under a year die. Bless you for loving them and keeping such good care of them. I highly recommend the DMG to keep them in good health now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambermae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh I’m so sorry you lost so many of your kitties. It was definitely such a hard thing to see them go through. Since keeping them at the vet for 3-5 days was just not an option for me financially, I took a week off of work and kept giving them sq fluids and syringe feeding them their food and liquids. Luckily I had vacation time but it was the worst week I’ve ever experienced in my life. I’m a first time pet owner as well and I could not believe how hard it was or how much i could not live without them.

They are very strictly indoors other than vet visits and grandmas house twice (which has never had any pets in) but I won’t even do that til they get the rest of their vaccines. They were scheduled to get their second vaccines the weekend they were sick. I want to bring them back but I’m worried now 😭

ok, I will definitely be purchasing that! The lung problem seems so scary. How long has it been since they had distemper? I will definitely have to get my little Fae checked out to be sure she is ok. Thank you for your entire message. Everything on the internet about distemper basically tells you the symptoms and then to just expect the worst. I didn’t find much on after so truly, thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, mine had it when they were a year old, that was 8 years ago. Then 3 years ago one was diagnosed with leukemia and given days to live. Somehow i kept him alive, gave him DMG and LifeGold, and was told they all more than likely had it. So far so good. They are fat and sassy, all strictly inside. Please get them their other vaccinations. Ask if they need the other distemper one, make sure they know they had distemper. Make sure they get the leukemia vaccination. We all take one day at a time! PSi know about all bad news on the internet. Mine had rwo diseases that they said were almost always fatal. No hope. Well, they truly have 9 lives!

Last edited: