Pancreatitis

Kola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 8 year old rescue diagnosed with pancreatitis. Under vets care. Takes maropitant n prednisone. Working on diet. At one time I thought I would lose her but have turned corner but still not feeling well.
Her poop is inbetween normal n runny n smells vile. I imagine her tummy is not to happy if this is what she poops.
Any suggestions?
Am I missing something?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hii and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. If the vet has her on a special diet that might explain the smell and looser stool. Food changes can cause that sometimes.

Short of that, a lot of these cats are dehydrated, so many of them can benefit from sub-Q fluids, which can be done at home. This also helps to flush out her system. Additionally, some cats receive antibiotics as a precaution of bacterial infection. And, some also receive an appetite booster if the anti-nausea meds aren't enough to get them to eating again. Lastly, pain meds are often prescribed because pancreatitis can be painful.

I presume she is on Prednisolone rather than Prednisone? The former is recommended for cats as they cannot properly metabolize the latter.

I don't know how long ago she was diagnosed or how long she has been receiving treatment, but pancreatitis can take a while to subside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hii and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. If the vet has her on a special diet that might explain the smell and looser stool. Food changes can cause that sometimes.

Short of that, a lot of these cats are dehydrated, so many of them can benefit from sub-Q fluids, which can be done at home. This also helps to flush out her system. Additionally, some cats receive antibiotics as a precaution of bacterial infection. And, some also receive an appetite booster if the anti-nausea meds aren't enough to get them to eating again. Lastly, pain meds are often prescribed because pancreatitis can be painful.

I presume she is on Prednisolone rather than Prednisone? The former is recommended for cats as they cannot properly metabolize the latter.

I don't know how long ago she was diagnosed or how long she has been receiving treatment, but pancreatitis can take a while to subside.
Thank you for the response. I’m following the protocol you laid out to the T except for antibiotics which I was going to ask my vet about. This started out as IBS and was being under treated by another vet so I was told for a couple of years.
I have been working with this vet and after a very expensive ultra sound she was diagnosed with pancreatitis and like you said it has been a journey to get a handle on it.
So IBS for a couple of years