Pancreatitis possibly something else

Missyhart20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I had a 17year old cat he was perfectly healthy then one day he stopped eating, stopped drinking, and stopped going to the bathroom he was like this for a couple days before I brought him to the vet. The vet had said he had pancreatitis and sent me home with an IV bag to give him, I tried to give him the IV and his mouth instantly became wide open with his tongue sticking all the way out but it was kinda curled he had lost 8LBS and that lasted 2 weeks he continued to decline could hardly breathe so I’m wondering if it might of been something else going on with him?? I ended up euthanizing him so he wasn’t suffering anymore which was the hardest thing I have ever done he was my baby I also had him since I was 6 years old

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had to put down my 17 yr old cat for pancreatitis, ibd,and liver inflamation. She had trouble breathing and 11 to 5 pds. I waited too long. Her last day she was very constipated and the vet could not take her til hours later so I had them heavily sedate her til it was time. She's my avatar

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your loss. Pancreatitis can be fatal, and probably more so with an elderly cat like your little guy. Many times a feeding tube, along with numerous medications, is needed to try to let their own bodies recover. There are so many possibilities behind what might trigger pancreatitis, the chances are that he did in fact have it. Without a ton of tests it would be hard to tell what might have caused his attack. Sometimes, no cause is identified through testing.

I am glad that you two at least had 11 years together - I know you will miss him terribly. RIP little buddy.

If/when you are ready, you can pay homage and a give tribute to him in our Crossing the Bridge section. Tell stories about your life with him and share pics to memorialize him forever on this site. Again, I am so sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your baby. I will say that I believe that you made the right decision, given his age. At some point, things simply begin to fail...one after another. I would love to know that when I reached that stage myself, someone could gently help me start my Next Great Adventure.