Palladia side effects?

NMB82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone have experience with Palladia related to side effects? We just started our cat on it after a series of CCNU doses that thankfully kept her cancer from progressing (MST on liver). Her recent exam/bloodwork/ultrasound were good and she was asymptomatic at last Monday's exam. By the 3rd dose (this past Friday) her appetite dropped considerably and she started hiding. Admittedly, we're not good at pilling and Friday's pill session was stressful. We went through two pills in the process. The first lost its film covering and she likely got more than the prescribed dose in the end, which I did not catch onto at the time. I know cats hide when they are not feeling well or in pain, but considering her recent exam/ultrasound/labwork were ok, I assume her behavior is related to the Palladia/stressful pilling and not cancer progression, though you can never be certain. She did have to delay a few CCNU doses due to low WBC/neutrophil counts, so I wonder if that's part of it. We skipped this Mondays dose and started her on an appetite stimulant, which has helped. She seems to be improving, but slowly.

I understand that often the dose of Palladia needs to be adjusted at the beginning due to side effects. There is not much info regarding cats and this medication, unfortunately. Has anyone had similar issues starting Palladia with their cat? When did things improve? Has anyone tried the liquid version from Wedgewood Pharmacy? I wish the oncologist was less busy and more responsive. I've considered taking her to the ER, but I hesitate because I'm not sure it's an emergency at this point (though concerning) and I'd hate to spend all that money, if it's just related to the medication and she'll recoup soon. If only she could speak...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I did find another thread where another cat had loss of appetite and went into hiding on both the pill form and the liquid form of Palladia: Bad Side Effects With Palladia?

then there is THIS thread where the cat has oral squamish cell carcinoma and tolerated the the pill form very well: Oral squamous cell carcinoma

Hoping your Vet or oncologist can either give a different med or adjust the dosage down for a while so she can slowly get used to the palladia and not suffer any side effects.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do not have any direct experience with Palladia. You are probably very familiar with it since you are using it, but these references may add some clarity.

Toceranib phosphate
https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/sites/default/files/images/Palladia Ohio State VMC print.pdf

My GSD was treated for cancer, not with Palladia, but I want to add that I expected his oncologist to be available, within reason, when I had questions. If for no other reason than you are paying a lot of money for this treatment and care of your cat, you should not be put in a position of trying to assess if you need the ER or not.