Pale poop

Kolhop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am fostering kittens and one is pooping very strangely. It’s pasty, white-ish, slight green tint in some places, slightly bloody. The organization said he seems fine to them and it’s nothing to worry about but he is more smaller and more tired acting than the other kitten. Negative for worms but they are treating for that anyway. Has anyone seen poop like this before?

Attachments

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. My kittens had that color of poop when I got them from foster care and we are still dealing with the issue. They've tested negative for Giardia and have been wormed several times. Right now they are on Fenbendazole and Metronadazole. The Vet has also given them several gastrointestinal wet and dry foods to try. They are healthy otherwise but one of them is also quite a bit smaller than they other. I'm hoping that something works and they get rid of it soon. It's costing me a fortune too! :runningcat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In general, paler yellow poop is related to liver issues as can a greenish tinge. Red blood, as opposed to a very dark colored blood, can be from a variety of issues. Straining, change in diet, can cause this. In itself, it is not always an emergency. Red blood which is frequent or part of diarrhea is more serious.

Are you fostering for a rescue who is assuming responsibility for the kittens? What concerns me is that he is a kitten who is exhibiting signs of ill health, or at least signs that should be investigated, but he is not being taken to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kolhop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I meant there is a vet at the organization who has seen him, and they are starting with deworming even though he tested negative. They just didn't seem as concerned as I thought they should be and didn't have a lot of solutions beyond deworming, although perhaps I am being overly anxious. I wish they were doing more tests on him. I've seen plenty of diarrhea but this is not like that. Very strange pasty texture. Just wondering if someone else had experienced poop like this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep your eye on him and advocate for him if you suspect that he is not doing well. You are very kind to help out these kittens and the rescue.