Painless lump on my cat shoulder.

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat greta got a lump all of a sudden on her shoulder. It's not painful to touch and she is eating and drinking fine and is not seems lethargic. I have send her pic to one of local vet and waiting for their reply but if anyone has any experience with this or knew what this is please help me. As in my town here are not much facilities available for pets.
Note - There was a tick a month before on somewhere that area, I am unable to remember, so not sure if that can also cause this?

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lump can be anything so it's impossible for anyone online to guess what it may be. No one at TCS is a vet, either. A vet may have to do a biopsy to determine what the lump is. I'd schedule an appointment with the vet while you are waiting to hear back. It'll probably be a few weeks wait to be seen since vets are booked these days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If ticks are fairly common in your area, and if you have any rescue centers/shelters you could ask them about it, as they might be familiar with tick related issues. Be sure to tell the vet you contacted about that aspect as well. I have read it is common for a lump to appear after a tick bite, but I didn't think it generally took a month to appear. I presume you removed the entire tick?

You might also consider a flea & tick topical treatment to help prevent tick bites down the road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If ticks are fairly common in your area, and if you have any rescue centers/shelters you could ask them about it, as they might be familiar with tick related issues. Be sure to tell the vet you contacted about that aspect as well. I have read it is common for a lump to appear after a tick bite, but I didn't think it generally took a month to appear. I presume you removed the entire tick?

You might also consider a flea & tick topical treatment to help prevent tick bites down the road.
She has been vaccinated also for rabies on 13 july. I will take her to a local vet tomorrow to have it checked out. If they can rule out about it or otherwise have to took her to other vet.
It would be helpful if anyone can explain me about injection site sarcoma. After reading in google it's increasing my anxiety but can that be possible?

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been vaccinated also for rabies on 13 july. I will take her to a local vet tomorrow to have it checked out. If they can rule out about it or otherwise have to took her to other vet.
It would be helpful if anyone can explain me about injection site sarcoma. After reading in google it's increasing my anxiety but can that be possible?
And yes I have removed the entire tick but at that time it was a lot grown up, due to my negligence. I am praying it would be tick infection not other thing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats can develop a lump after a vaccine, and most usually resolve themselves within 4 to 6 weeks - so it seems that could be the case with your cat. But here is an article from the internet.
Injection-site Sarcomas in the Cat | OSU Veterinary Medical Center
That lump is round, upon touching thoroughly, I can feel the nerves around it a bit swollen also. Not way long but along side. And does sarcoma occur at injection site only or can be on nereby area.
As my vet mostly give injection between shoulder blades of them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure about the specific location, but it would seem logical to think it is actually AT the injection site. Also, nonadjuvanted vaccines for rabies seem to decrease the risk of developing a tumor (because they have decreased inflammation around the injection site). So, ask your vet whether the injection was adjuvanted or nonadjuvanted. Many now use the latter because of this, so if your cat received the nonadjuvanted type, there is even a lesser chance that what you are feeling is a sarcoma.

EDIT: A lot of vets are now using limbs (and even tails) for injections sites, as it aides in tumor removal should a sarcoma occur. Another thing you can discuss with your vet for future vaccines. And, depending on your cat's age and whether or not she is indoor only, some - even rabies vaccines - can be discontinued. Feeby who is 18+yo had her last 3-yr rabies vaccine done in 2016. Her other vaccines were stopped in 2014.

Last edited: