Oxalate stones

Circonflex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Does anyone know how long it takes for kidney stones to form, grow and block the ureters ? Unfortunately, I lost my cat with 9 kidney stones, I changed his dry food 3 months ago. I really wonder if the harm has been done with this new dry food.

Thank you !

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your kitty. :hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump:

Oxalate stones will not dissolve using any of the prescription foods often used to help dissolve struvite crystals. Every cat is different, and in some cats, I don't think a vet can determine what exactly causes them. Feeby had oxalate stones that had to be surgically removed at the age of 5. Although we didn't know it at that time, we later found out that they did damage to her kidneys and ureters before anyone even knew she had them. She has had no recurrence since (knock on wood), and she is 18+ yo.

For years, after the surgery, she was on prescription to help prevent the formation of new ones, and I am guessing that those foods must have helped her. But given no one knows why she had them in the first place, it is hard to tell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Circonflex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. You are lucky to have been able to save your cat from this nightmare. Kidney oxalate stones (not bladder stones) are said to be the worst. My cat was treated too late, the symptoms were sneaky. It fought to stay alive for several days at the vet and succumbed at the end of the operation.

So 3 months, it may be possible, if I hadn't changed these dry food, I would never have had any doubts ! However, these dry food is "veterinarian" quality. Unfortunately I will never know the exact origin that caused the death of my love cat.