Overweight Range

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the risk of overposting , I ask:
My ckd cat was prescribed Mirataz because she does not have an appetite with her ckd unless she takes it.
I was told to "make sure she eats"!
She is a domestic calico senior whom I have had for 1 year and who weighed 8 lbs last Sept.
She now weighs 11.5 lbs.
What is considered overweight?
Should I just ignore her 3 1/2 lb weight gain and just continue to allow her to gain for the sake of the ckd?
I only give her a 1/2 dose of the medication and some days she does not get any because it causes her to be ravenous.
A normal day on the medication is about 2 cans a day plus a churu and a few Kittles or Greenies.(2 cal each)
She is sedentary and LOVES to sleep.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is no way for us to know if she is overweight without seeing a picture of her, or YOU asking your Vet how much she should weigh, or perhaps you can look at the body chart in this thread and see where she falls: Does my cat's weight look OK?

It's possible when you adopted her she was quite underweight. Or it's possible that now she is overweight, although for a kidney cat that would be pretty unusual. Of my three kidney cats, none of them were anything more than skin and bones, no matter how much they ate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't go by the chart. At her physical last month, she was palpated and nothing was mentioned about being overweight..even after weighing.
BUT.. it is that pouch that is growing and causing me concern..soon it will be dragging on the floor!:(

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The chart isn't entirly accurate. It fails to include the primordial pouch, a hanging peice of skin that allows cats to be so flexable.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's still not possible for us to say whether or not she is overweight based on her weight alone. For instance, I have two males, both the same age. One weighs 9 lbs, the other 15. They are both at their perfect weight, according to our Vet.

If you Vet didn't say anything about her weight at her visit last month, and continues to say "make sure she eats", then I would do just that and not worry if she gains. I would have been thrilled if any of mine gained even an ounce once they were diagnosed with kidney disease.